* Version Control -- CVS log problem on WinXP
@ 2003-01-30 19:48 Edwin Stearns
From: Edwin Stearns @ 2003-01-30 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I really like to use the Version Control commands on my CVS files, but I
have run into a problem with logs.

After I commit a file using C-x C-q and add an entry to the log, emacs will
identify the file as an unix file the next time I open it. There are ^M at
the end of every line. After investigating a little, I found that on the
most recent log there were two ^M at the end of the first line of a
multiple line log entry. It looked something like this:

**   Revision 1.6  2003/01/27 17:44:50  edwin^M
**   Blah blah Blah^M^M
**   Blah blah blah^M
**^M

When I removed the last ^M from the line, saved the file and reopened it,
emacs displayed it correctly.

How can I make sure that emacs doesn't insert this extra control character
when I do commits?

I am using emacs version 21.2.1 on WinXP

Edwin Stearns

* Re: Version Control -- CVS log problem on WinXP
       [not found] <mailman.1207.1043956156.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-01-31 16:33 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-01-31 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Edwin,

Edwin Stearns <edwin@lw.net> writes:
> I really like to use the Version Control commands on my CVS files,
> but I have run into a problem with logs.
>
> After I commit a file using C-x C-q and add an entry to the log,
>
> [...]
>
> **   Revision 1.6  2003/01/27 17:44:50  edwin^M
> **   Blah blah Blah^M^M
> **   Blah blah blah^M
> **^M

I had similar problems with earlier versions of CVS from the WinCVS
distribution.  Recent versions didn't have the problem.  This can also
probably also happen, if you use Cygwin with its "binary mount" option
or MSYS CVS tools (MSYS always uses "binary mounts").

So try updating to a current WinCVS version or switch to "textmode
mounts", when you are want to use Cygwin.

Hope this helps, benny

* Re: Version Control -- CVS log problem on WinXP
@ 2003-02-04 22:18 Edwin Stearns
From: Edwin Stearns @ 2003-02-04 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)