* Adding characters/symbols to the fringes
@ 2004-06-10  9:17 Joakim Hove
From: Joakim Hove @ 2004-06-10  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

is there a simple way to add characters/symbols to the fringes, like
the arrows indicating that a line continues on to the next line.

  M-x apropos fringe

only seems to give functions related to the width and visibility of
the fringes.

Regards Joakim
 / Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /

* Re: Adding characters/symbols to the fringes
@ 2004-06-10 17:45 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-06-10 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joakim Hove <hove@bccs.no> writes:

>Hello,
>
>is there a simple way to add characters/symbols to the fringes, like
>the arrows indicating that a line continues on to the next line.

I believe you need to use an overlay (which is how Gnus does it --
take a look at `gnus-summary-set-article-display-arrow').  Overlays
are described in the elisp manual, and my quick glance at the page
doesn't make adding chars to the fringe appear "simple", alas.

Maybe you'll see something I didn't.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: Adding characters/symbols to the fringes
@ 2004-06-10 19:50 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-06-10 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-06-11 10:38   ` Joakim Hove
From: Joakim Hove @ 2004-06-11 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank's for the suggestions - but I must agree with

> and my quick glance at the page doesn't make adding chars to the
> fringe appear "simple", alas.

and think I will leave it at that.