* imaxima in emacs 22.1
@ 2008-08-25 20:02 T.Raagaard
From: T.Raagaard @ 2008-08-25 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to get imaxima and emacs 22.1.1 to play together, but they
don't want to.

I suspect it has something to do with the code snippet from
this .emacs: http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/imaxima/Site/Set_up_your_Emacs.html
 More specifically, I can't find the path in this code:
";;; add to load-path the directory where maxima.el is installed.
;;; If you change the install directory of maxima, the first argument
of push must be changed accordingly.

(push "/usr/local/share/maxima/5.15.0/emacs" load-path)"

This is what happens:

"xxx:~$ ls /usr/local/share/
applications/        games/               mime/
desktop-directories/ icons/               ppd/
emacs/               info/                sgml/
fonts/               man/                 xml/
xxx:~$ ls /usr/local/share/"
(I pressed TAB)

I've tried imaxima 0.99 and 1.0b, nothing works. The output should be
like this http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/imaxima/Site/Tutorial_of_Imaxima_files/p2.png

When I input that, it outputs

"(%i2) integrate(f(x),x,minf,inf);
LaTex error in: \int_{ -\infty }^{\infty }{f\left(x\right)\;dx}
(%i3)"

so the LaTeX code is there, it is just not rendered to something
pretty.

Anybody with experience in imaxima?
Any help appreciated.

* Re: imaxima in emacs 22.1
@ 2008-08-25 23:30 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.17564.1219748030.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-25 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.Raagaard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.08.2008 um 22:02 schrieb T.Raagaard:

> (push "/usr/local/share/maxima/5.15.0/emacs" load-path)"

This ELisp code can be executed in *scratch* buffer, not in a shell.

You can also add in your init file (~/.emacs):

	(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/share/maxima/5.15.0/emacs")

This way GNU Emacs will know automatically the path to imaxima.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for «
entrepreneur ».
				– George W. Bush

* Re: imaxima in emacs 22.1
@ 2008-08-26 10:53 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found] ` <mailman.17564.1219748030.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-08-26 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.Raagaard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

T.Raagaard@gmail.com wrote:

> (push "/usr/local/share/maxima/5.15.0/emacs" load-path)"
>
> This is what happens:
>
> "xxx:~$ ls /usr/local/share/
> applications/        games/               mime/
> desktop-directories/ icons/               ppd/
> emacs/               info/                sgml/
> fonts/               man/                 xml/
> xxx:~$ ls /usr/local/share/"
> (I pressed TAB)

Obviously your installation directory is different.  What method did you
use to install?  Maybe you can find it by

find / -name maxima

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: imaxima in emacs 22.1
       [not found] ` <mailman.17564.1219748030.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-26 14:30   ` T.Raagaard
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17617.1219782714.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: T.Raagaard @ 2008-08-26 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 26, 12:53 pm, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
> Obviously your installation directory is different.  What method did you
> use to install?  Maybe you can find it by
>
> find / -name maxima
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

I used aptitude in ubuntu 8.04, so maxima was installed automatically.
This is what I found:
"www@zzz:~$ ls /usr/share/maxima/5.13.0/
demo  doc  share  src  tests  xmaxima"

I can't find a subdirectory named anything with "emacs":
"www@zzz:~$ find /usr/share/maxima/5.13.0/ -name emacs
www@zzz:~$ "

* Re: imaxima in emacs 22.1
@ 2008-08-26 20:31     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17617.1219782714.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-08-26 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.Raagaard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

T.Raagaard@gmail.com wrote:

> I used aptitude in ubuntu 8.04, so maxima was installed automatically.
>
> I can't find a subdirectory named anything with "emacs":

There appears to be a "maxima-emacs" package.  Have you installed it?

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: imaxima in emacs 22.1
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17617.1219782714.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-27 18:05       ` T.Raagaard
       [not found]         ` <mailman.17756.1219930226.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: T.Raagaard @ 2008-08-27 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 26, 10:31 pm, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
> T.Raaga...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I used aptitude in ubuntu 8.04, so maxima was installed automatically.
>
> > I can't find a subdirectory named anything with "emacs":
>
> There appears to be a "maxima-emacs" package.  Have you installed it?
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

I did not, I have now. However, it is still not working.

This is the relevant parts from my .emacs:
---------------------
;;; imaxima; http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/imaxima/Site/Welcome.html
(autoload 'imaxima "imaxima" "Image support for Maxima." t)
(autoload 'imath-mode "imath" "Interactive Math minor mode." t)

;;; add to load-path the directory where imaxima.el is installed.
;;; If you change the install directory of imaxima, the first argument
of push must be changed accordingly.
(push "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp" load-path)

;;; add to load-path the directory where maxima.el is installed.

;;; If you change the install directory of maxima, the first argument
of push must be changed accordingly.
(push "/usr/share/maxima/5.13.0/emacs" load-path)

;;(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/maxima/5.13.0/emacs")

;;; add autoload of imaxima and maxima.
(autoload 'imaxima "imaxima" "Frontend for maxima with Image support"
t)
(autoload 'maxima "maxima" "Frontend for maxima" t)

;;; add autoload of imath.
(autoload 'imath-mode "imath" "Imath mode for math formula input" t)

;;; Make the line effective if you want to use maxima mode with
imaxima.
;; (setq imaxima-use-maxima-mode-flag t)
-------------------

and this is from bash:
-----------------

zzz@xxx:~$ ls /usr/share/maxima/5.13.0/emacs
bookmode.el  emaxima.lisp  maxima-font-lock.el  sshell.el
emaxima.el   maxima.el     smart-complete.el
zzz@xxx:~$ ls /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/
imath.el   imaxima-autoconf-variables.el   imaxima.el   imaxima.lisp
imath.elc  imaxima-autoconf-variables.elc  imaxima.elc
zzz@xxx
----------------------

As far as I can see, all the required *.el files are there.

* Re: imaxima in emacs 22.1
@ 2008-08-28 13:30         ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found]         ` <mailman.17756.1219930226.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-08-28 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.Raagaard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

T.Raagaard@gmail.com wrote:

> As far as I can see, all the required *.el files are there.

Yes, that should be all.

Note that you're autoloading the functions.  That means the files are
loaded as soon as you use the functions.  You still need to call the
functions.  For now you can do this with M-x imaxima and M-x imath-mode
in the appropriate buffer.  Does that work, or do you get error
messages?

(Please note I've never used these modes and my directions are based
only on the usual way things work.)

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: imaxima in emacs 22.1
       [not found]         ` <mailman.17756.1219930226.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-28 14:36           ` T.Raagaard
From: T.Raagaard @ 2008-08-28 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 28, 3:30 pm, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
> T.Raaga...@gmail.com wrote:
> > As far as I can see, all the required *.el files are there.
>
> Yes, that should be all.
>
> Note that you're autoloading the functions.  That means the files are
> loaded as soon as you use the functions.  You still need to call the
> functions.  For now you can do this with M-x imaxima and M-x imath-mode
> in the appropriate buffer.  Does that work, or do you get error
> messages?
>
> (Please note I've never used these modes and my directions are based
> only on the usual way things work.)
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

Oh! So I tried to google a bit more, and It turns out I "forgot" to
install the LaTeX package breqn as described in
http://yujianzhang.blogspot.com/2008/04/using-imaxima-with-texlive-in-gentoo.html

It's working perfectly now, thank you so much for your time.

T. Raagaard.