* Old style backquotes warning
@ 2011-03-18 16:20 Ed Reingold
From: Ed Reingold @ 2011-03-18 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a macro definition in my .emacs that (now that I have switched
to 23.3) causes a warning
about old backquotes detected.  How do I fix the macro?  Here it is:

(defmacro squash (month day year time &optional court)
  (backquote
   (squash-internal (, month) (, day) (, year) (quote (, time)) (,
court))))

* RE: Old style backquotes warning
@ 2011-03-18 20:51 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.9.1300481525.31996.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-03-18 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ed Reingold', help-gnu-emacs

> old backquotes detected.  How do I fix the macro?
>
> (defmacro squash (month day year time &optional court)
>   (backquote
>    (squash-internal (, month) (, day) (, year) (quote (, time))
>                     (, court))))

(defmacro squash (m d y t &optional c)
  `(squash-internal ,m ,d ,y ',t ,c))

* RE: Old style backquotes warning
@ 2011-03-18 20:54 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.9.1300481525.31996.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-03-18 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ed Reingold', help-gnu-emacs

oops - I meant tt, not t. ;-)

@ 2011-03-18 21:35   ` Ed Reingold
From: Ed Reingold @ 2011-03-18 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 18, 3:51 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > old backquotes detected.  How do I fix the macro?
>
> > (defmacro squash (month day year time &optional court)
> >   (backquote
> >    (squash-internal (, month) (, day) (, year) (quote (, time))
> >                     (, court))))
>
> (defmacro squash (m d y t &optional c)
>   `(squash-internal ,m ,d ,y ',t ,c))

Thanks, that does it!

@ 2011-03-22 14:27   ` Uday Reddy
From: Uday Reddy @ 2011-03-22 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/18/2011 8:51 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
>> old backquotes detected.  How do I fix the macro?
>>
>> (defmacro squash (month day year time&optional court)
>>    (backquote
>>     (squash-internal (, month) (, day) (, year) (quote (, time))
>>                      (, court))))
>
> (defmacro squash (m d y t&optional c)
>    `(squash-internal ,m ,d ,y ',t ,c))

Right.  Any idea what is old style about this backquote:

		`(lambda ()
		   (if (eq (current-buffer) ,(current-buffer))
		       (kill-buffer ,work-buffer)))

The compiler complains rather bitterly!

Cheers,
Uday

* Re: Old style backquotes warning
@ 2011-03-22 14:34     ` Uday Reddy
From: Uday Reddy @ 2011-03-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/22/2011 2:27 PM, Uday Reddy wrote:

> Right. Any idea what is old style about this backquote:
>
> `(lambda ()
> (if (eq (current-buffer) ,(current-buffer))
> (kill-buffer ,work-buffer)))

Oops, ignore that.  The problem was with another backquote in the same
top-level form.

Cheers,
Uday