* isearch-repeat-forward not compatible with delete-selection-mode
       [not found] <4cec4a1d-ad43-7b50-231e-641caf8a574e.ref@yahoo.de>
@ 2022-02-02  7:46 ` R. Diez
From: R. Diez @ 2022-02-02  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all:

I am using cua-mode, which includes delete-selection-mode.

When I repeat an incremental search with isearch-repeat-forward, Emacs highlights all matches around in blue, and the current match in magenta.

Normally, if I type (or paste) some text, the currently-selected text is replaced. This is what I am used to when using other text editors. However, isearch's highlighting of the current match is apparently not what is considered to be the 'selection'.

That is bugging me, because I am used to quickly search the next match with F3, and then typing o pasting something to replace the current match. I know that I can automate text replacing, but I often want to manually check each match before replacing it.

Is there a way to tell isearch-repeat-forward and isearch-repeat-backward to set the selection to the current match?

Failing that, I could wrap isearch-repeat-forward and isearch-repeat-backward with my own Lisp routines in order to set the current selection whenever the next/previous match is found (if any). Could somebody help me with such a routine?

My Lisp skills are somewhat limited. But if you give me some pointers, I could probably find my way out with some trial and error.

Thanks in advance,
   rdiez

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-02-02  7:46 UTC | newest]