From: Francesco Mazzoli <f@mazzo.li>
To: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: emacs and fallback fonts
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:21:17 +0000	[thread overview]

On 18/03/12 15:35, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 18.3.2012 um 02:22 schrieb Francesco Mazzoli:
>
>> I am trying to get emacs to fallback nicely when my font of choice (Terminus) doesn't have a symbol.
>
> Do you know of any X11 application that can perform what you wish? How is it when look with vi(m), pico, nano from xterm with Terminus at the same places of the same file? How is the font selection working here? How are Open/LibreOffice performing?

Well the current situation is that DejaVu Sans Mono is used as a
fallback in all the applications. The problem is that Terminus-12 is
smaller than DejaVu Sans Mono-12, so emacs squashes the bigger
characters resulting in illegible characters.

I tried configuring fontconfig like so, to have DejaVu Sans Mono to be
smaller:

<match target="pattern">
   <test name="family">
     <string>Terminus</string>
   </test>
   <edit binding="strong" mode="append" name="family">
     <string>DejaVu Sans Mono</string>
   </edit>
   <edit binding="strong" mode="append" name="size">
     10
   </edit>
</match>

But it doesn't seem to work, and I wasn't able to find a suitable
configuration, so I was looking for an emacs-specific solution...

Francesco.