* Emacs as Address Book?
@ 2009-12-23  0:20 Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2009-12-23  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A few months ago, I began using org-mode for general calendaring.
Lately, I've been wondering about address book applications for emacs.

Do any of you use emacs as an address book?  What package(s) do you
recommend?

I've seen the Address Book package on Savannah [1], but the project's
download area is an empty directory [2].  bbdb [3] seems like a
reasonable contender.

I'm mostly interested in a stand-alone address book, and not so
concerned with gnus, vm, etc integration.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

[1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/addressbook
[2] http://mirrors.igsobe.com/nongnu/addressbook/
[3] http://bbdb.sourceforge.net/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 195 bytes --]

* Re: Emacs as Address Book?
@ 2009-12-23  1:36 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-12-23  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-12-23 00:20 +0000, Steve Revilak wrote:
> A few months ago, I began using org-mode for general calendaring.
> Lately, I've been wondering about address book applications for emacs.
>
> Do any of you use emacs as an address book?  What package(s) do you
> recommend?
>
> I've seen the Address Book package on Savannah [1], but the project's
> download area is an empty directory [2].  bbdb [3] seems like a
> reasonable contender.

BBDB

Leo

* Re: Emacs as Address Book?
       [not found] <mailman.22.1261527637.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-23  3:22 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-12-23  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steve Revilak <steve@srevilak.net> writes:

> A few months ago, I began using org-mode for general calendaring.
> Lately, I've been wondering about address book applications for emacs.
>
> Do any of you use emacs as an address book?  What package(s) do you
> recommend?
>
> I've seen the Address Book package on Savannah [1], but the project's
> download area is an empty directory [2].  bbdb [3] seems like a
> reasonable contender.
>
> I'm mostly interested in a stand-alone address book, and not so
> concerned with gnus, vm, etc integration.

I use bbdb and have been for a long time. I find it works really well.
The other nice thing about bbdb is that org has integration with bbdb,
which means you an embed bbdb links into your org documents/files

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Emacs as Address Book?
@ 2009-12-23  8:55 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2009-12-23  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steve Revilak wrote:
> A few months ago, I began using org-mode for general calendaring.
> Lately, I've been wondering about address book applications for emacs.
>
> Do any of you use emacs as an address book?  What package(s) do you
> recommend?
>
> I've seen the Address Book package on Savannah [1], but the project's
> download area is an empty directory [2].  bbdb [3] seems like a
> reasonable contender.
>
> I'm mostly interested in a stand-alone address book, and not so
> concerned with gnus, vm, etc integration.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Steve
>

> [1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/addressbook
> [2] http://mirrors.igsobe.com/nongnu/addressbook/
> [3] http://bbdb.sourceforge.net/

forms-mode?  it keeps data in csv-format, easily
exported resp. used from other applications.

See also

;;; csv-mode.el --- major mode for editing comma-separated value files
;; Author: Francis J. Wright <F.J.Wright at qmul.ac.uk>

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/