* I need UTF-8
@ 2006-04-17  2:04 Fredrik Bulow
From: Fredrik Bulow @ 2006-04-17  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All!

I currently use Emacs 21 which appears to lack support for the UTF-8
text encoding system. Unfortunately UTF support is a feature I really
need since my mother tongue is one of those weird non-English
languages. How do I make emacs support UTF?

* Re: I need UTF-8
@ 2006-04-17  2:51 ` Pascal Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.497.1145271319.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2006-04-17  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fredrik Bulow <kaliumfredrik@gmail.com> writes:
> I currently use Emacs 21 which appears to lack support for the UTF-8
> text encoding system. Unfortunately UTF support is a feature I really
> need since my mother tongue is one of those weird non-English
> languages. How do I make emacs support UTF?

Just put this in your ~/.emacs:

(setq default-process-coding-system  (cons 'mule-utf-8 'mule-utf-8))

There are also some other *coding-system variables you can customize
independently, and have a look at modify-coding-system-alist.

In a World without Walls and Fences,
who needs Windows and Gates?

* Re: I need UTF-8
@ 2006-04-17  4:54 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-17  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I currently use Emacs 21 which appears to lack support for the UTF-8
> text encoding system.

Tho it doesn't fully support all aspects of Unicode (far from that), it
doesn't "lack support for UTF-8".  So please explain to use more precisely
the problem you encountered.

Note that the precise behavior depends on the exact version of Emacs.
The support for Unicode has been improved at every new release (and will
continue so for the forseeable future).

* Re: I need UTF-8
@ 2006-04-17 10:39 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-17 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.04.2006 um 04:04 schrieb Fredrik Bulow:

> I currently use Emacs 21 which appears to lack support for the UTF-8
> text encoding system. Unfortunately UTF support is a feature I really
> need since my mother tongue is one of those weird non-English
> languages. How do I make emacs support UTF?

GNU Emacs 22.0.50 from CVS seems to show an improved capability to
handle UTF-8 stuff.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Der größte Aberglaube der Gegenwart ist der Glaube an die Vorfahrt.
(Jacques Tati)

* Re: I need UTF-8
@ 2006-04-17 10:55   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.497.1145271319.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-17 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.04.2006 um 04:51 schrieb Pascal Bourguignon:

> Just put this in your ~/.emacs:
>
> (setq default-process-coding-system  (cons 'mule-utf-8 'mule-utf-8))

This indeed improves some things!

In my GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0, GTK+ Version
2.6.10) of 2006-03-04 on localhost
I am missing support ISO 8859-16 encoding. There is also missing
support for de-composed file names in UTF-8 ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?" -- Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy

* Re: I need UTF-8
       [not found]   ` <mailman.497.1145271319.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-17 13:33     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-17 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is also missing  support for de-composed file names in UTF-8 ...

The missing support is not really for "de-composed file names", but just for
any notion of equivalence between different UTF-8 forms of the same text.

* Re: I need UTF-8
@ 2006-04-17 13:57   ` Fredrik Bulow
From: Fredrik Bulow @ 2006-04-17 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Tho it doesn't fully support all aspects of Unicode (far from that), it
> doesn't "lack support for UTF-8".  So please explain to use more precisely
> the problem you encountered.

Certainly, I'm using GNU Emacs 21.4.1 with gnus 5.10.7 and I want to read
a Swedish news feed called

http://www.dn.se/huvudnyheter-rss

Article names works fine but when a read the actual articles all åäö characters
are blanked out (which makes the text *very* difficult to read). When
looking in the gnus info pages I found the following note:

>    Note: you had better use Emacs which supports the `utf-8' coding
> system because RSS uses UTF-8 for encoding non-ASCII text by default.
> It is also used by default for non-ASCII group names.

Unfortunately the lisp code suggested by Pascal Bourguignon

> Just put this in your ~/.emacs:

> (setq default-process-coding-system  (cons 'mule-utf-8 'mule-utf-8))

> There are also some other *coding-system variables you can customize
> independently, and have a look at modify-coding-system-alist.

did solve my calamity. And yes, I have installed the "mule-ucs"
package (I use Ubuntu Breezy).

All advice on this matter is appreciated.

* Re: I need UTF-8
@ 2006-04-17 15:25     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-17 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And yes, I have installed the "mule-ucs" package (I use Ubuntu Breezy).

This might be the problem: the mule-ucs package is not needed (I'm not even
sure that it's harmless) with Emacs-21.