* Eshell documentation
@ 2009-09-02  0:24 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2009-09-02  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I recently discovered eshell and wanted to read up on it as I use BASH
instead of the default Bourne shell. But when I looked at the info
pages, almost all of the nodes were completely empty! There was some
bare minimum material to go through but nothing that would help me set
what I was looking for.

Where can I find more extensive documentation or better yet, how can I
change my shell from /bin/sh to /bin/bash ?

PS: This webpage confirms my observation about the docs.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eshell.html

--
Suvayu

* Re: Eshell documentation
@ 2009-09-02  2:09 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-09-02  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-09-02 01:24 +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently discovered eshell and wanted to read up on it as I use BASH
> instead of the default Bourne shell. But when I looked at the info
> pages, almost all of the nodes were completely empty! There was some
> bare minimum material to go through but nothing that would help me set
> what I was looking for.
>
> Where can I find more extensive documentation or better yet, how can I
> change my shell from /bin/sh to /bin/bash ?
>
> PS: This webpage confirms my observation about the docs.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eshell.html

Try emacswiki.

--
Leo's Emacs uptime: 10 days, 7 hours, 41 minutes, 38 seconds

* Re: Eshell documentation
@ 2009-09-02  5:53   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-09-02  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2009-09-02 01:24 +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I recently discovered eshell and wanted to read up on it as I use BASH
>> instead of the default Bourne shell. But when I looked at the info
>> pages, almost all of the nodes were completely empty! There was some
>> bare minimum material to go through but nothing that would help me set
>> what I was looking for.
>>
>> Where can I find more extensive documentation or better yet, how can I
>> change my shell from /bin/sh to /bin/bash ?
>>
>> PS: This webpage confirms my observation about the docs.
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eshell.html
>
> Try emacswiki.
You will find on emacswiki a manual:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EshellManual

You can use it as the eshell manual for emacs to replace the one that
come with emacs that is empty...or nearly.
I have proposed to emacs-devel to use this manual but they never did it.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: Eshell documentation
@ 2009-09-02  8:16     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2009-09-02  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 10:53 PM, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
> Leo<sdl.web@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> On 2009-09-02 01:24 +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>>>
>>> Where can I find more extensive documentation or better yet, how can I
>>> change my shell from /bin/sh to /bin/bash ?
>>>
>>> PS: This webpage confirms my observation about the docs.
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eshell.html
>>
>> Try emacswiki.
> You will find on emacswiki a manual:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EshellManual
>
> You can use it as the eshell manual for emacs to replace the one
> that come with emacs that is empty...or nearly. I have proposed to
> emacs-devel to use this manual but they never did it.

Thanks a bunch Thierry and Leo. :) I have downloaded the texi file and
now I have an info file. It took me a while to figure out how to get an
info file out of it though. :P

--
Suvayu