* split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-09-14 11:52 Gil
From: Gil @ 2008-09-14 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to split the screen horizontally (C-x 3) in such a way
that the three windows are equally spaced?

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-09-14 12:09 ` harven
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: harven @ 2008-09-14 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 14, 1:52 pm, Gil <gilbert.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to split the screen horizontally (C-x 3) in such a way
> that the three windows are equally spaced?

M-x balance-windows which is bound to    C-x +

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-09-14 12:48 ` Rupert Swarbrick
       [not found] ` <mailman.19329.1221542577.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-09-14 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gil <gilbert.harman@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to split the screen horizontally (C-x 3) in such a way
> that the three windows are equally spaced?

Gosh, I swear I've answered this question 3 times this month! Is everone
suddenly buying bigger monitors or something? Anyway, someone's already
suggested balance-windows. I'm fond of this hacky solution (NIH coming
to the fore?):

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/56928

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 314 bytes --]

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-09-14 16:01   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-09-14 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Rupert Swarbrick; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.09.2008 um 14:48 schrieb Rupert Swarbrick:

> Is everone suddenly buying bigger monitors or something?

Trial package from top screen enlargement site.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-09-16  5:22 ` Allan Gottlieb
       [not found] ` <mailman.19329.1221542577.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2008-09-16  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Sun, 14 Sep 2008 04:52:18 -0700 (PDT) Gil <gilbert.harman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to split the screen horizontally (C-x 3) in such a way
> that the three windows are equally spaced?

Yes,  You want balance-windows (see below).

C-x 1   C-x 3   C-x 3   C-x +

Will give you three equal size windows in the frame.

allan

C-x + runs the command balance-windows
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `window.el'.
It is bound to C-x +.
(balance-windows &optional WINDOW-OR-FRAME)

Make windows the same heights or widths in window split subtrees.

When called non-interactively WINDOW-OR-FRAME may be either a
window or a frame.  It then balances the windows on the implied
frame.  If the parameter is a window only the corresponding window
subtree is balanced.

[back]

@ 2008-10-07 22:26   ` maps.automation58
From: maps.automation58 @ 2008-10-07 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 16, 1:22 am, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> At Sun, 14 Sep 2008 04:52:18 -0700 (PDT) Gil <gilbert.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to split the screen horizontally (C-x 3) in such a way
> > that the three windows are equally spaced?
>
> Yes,  You want balance-windows (see below).
>
> C-x 1   C-x 3   C-x 3   C-x +
>
> Will give you three equal size windows in the frame.
>
> allan
>
> C-x + runs the command balance-windows
>   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `window.el'.
> It is bound to C-x +.
> (balance-windows &optional WINDOW-OR-FRAME)
my balance-windows only balances them vertically... is there another
command I can use or an easy way I can change that?

@ 2008-10-08 19:15     ` Allan Gottlieb
       [not found]     ` <mailman.622.1223503318.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2008-10-08 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Tue, 07 Oct 2008 15:26:06 -0700 (PDT) maps.automation58@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sep 16, 1:22 am, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> At Sun, 14 Sep 2008 04:52:18 -0700 (PDT) Gil <gilbert.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a way to split the screen horizontally (C-x 3) in such a way
>> > that the three windows are equally spaced?
>>
>> Yes,  You want balance-windows (see below).
>>
>> C-x 1   C-x 3   C-x 3   C-x +
>>
>> Will give you three equal size windows in the frame.
>>
>> allan
>>
>> C-x + runs the command balance-windows
>>   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `window.el'.
>> It is bound to C-x +.
>> (balance-windows &optional WINDOW-OR-FRAME)
> my balance-windows only balances them vertically... is there another
> command I can use or an easy way I can change that?

It works for me under both version 22 and version 23.  What emacs
version are you running.  Also do you start with a wide frame?

allan

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-10-08 22:01     ` Bastien
       [not found]     ` <mailman.622.1223503318.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2008-10-08 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

maps.automation58@gmail.com writes:

> my balance-windows only balances them vertically... is there another
> command I can use or an easy way I can change that?

If you manipulate windows a lot, you can try windresize.el:

  http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/windresize.el

  M-x windresize RET 3 3 =

will split the screen in three equal vertical columns.

--
Bastien

@ 2008-10-10  7:11       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2008-10-10  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello all,

> If you manipulate windows a lot, you can try windresize.el.

Is there some already existing code that would allow to "switch"
from a vertical layout of windows to an horizontal one, and vice
versa?

For example:

    ---------              ---------
    |   A   |              |   |   |
    ---------    ---->     | A | B |
    |   B   |              |   |   |
    ---------              ---------

Thanks,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-10-10  8:00         ` harven
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: harven @ 2008-10-10  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
>> If you manipulate windows a lot, you can try windresize.el.
>
> Is there some already existing code that would allow to "switch"
> from a vertical layout of windows to an horizontal one, and vice
> versa?
>
> For example:
>
>     ---------              ---------
>     |   A   |              |   |   |
>     ---------    ---->     | A | B |
>     |   B   |              |   |   |
>     ---------              ---------
>
> Thanks,
>   Seb
>
> --
> Sébastien Vauban

See the wiki.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/ToggleWindowSplit

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-10-10  8:02         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]         ` <mailman.767.1223627907.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-10  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>> If you manipulate windows a lot, you can try windresize.el.
>
> Is there some already existing code that would allow to "switch"
> from a vertical layout of windows to an horizontal one, and vice
> versa?
>
> For example:
>
>     ---------              ---------
>     |   A   |              |   |   |
>     ---------    ---->     | A | B |
>     |   B   |              |   |   |
>     ---------              ---------

Yes, in winsize.el that comes with nXhtml.

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-10-10  8:38         ` Bastien
       [not found]         ` <mailman.767.1223627907.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2008-10-10  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> writes:

> Is there some already existing code that would allow to "switch"
> from a vertical layout of windows to an horizontal one, and vice
> versa?
>
> For example:
>
>     ---------              ---------
>     |   A   |              |   |   |
>     ---------    ---->     | A | B |
>     |   B   |              |   |   |
>     ---------              ---------

Not yet.  But the switch above is just M-x windresize RET 0 3 RET.
I can't really imagine a situation where it's often useful to switch
from a horizontal layout to a vertical one, can you give me examples?

best,

--
Bastien

@ 2008-10-10 10:23           ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2008-10-10 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

First thanks to Harven and Lennart for their answers, and to
you, Bastien, as well...

FYI, I've tried the transpose window stuff from EmacsWiki, and
it perfectly works...

>> Is there some already existing code that would allow to "switch"
>> from a vertical layout of windows to an horizontal one, and vice
>> versa?
>>
>> For example:
>>
>>     ---------              ---------
>>     |   A   |              |   |   |
>>     ---------    ---->     | A | B |
>>     |   B   |              |   |   |
>>     ---------              ---------
>
> Not yet. But the switch above is just M-x windresize RET 0 3 RET.

Thanks for the example. It wasn't that clear for me, even after
looking through winresize.el.

> I can't really imagine a situation where it's often useful to switch
> from a horizontal layout to a vertical one, can you give me examples?

Of course, you have the ediffing case where I want to easily
switch from one configuration to the other, depending on what
I'm comparing and how (having my Emacs full screen or not). But
there is already a key binding for that.

Another case is, for example, when I'm reading mail. Sometimes
I'd like to pass from the first screen configuration above
(which is my default one, with Gnus) to the second, in a matter
of seconds, and without the mouse).

In that case, I first force full screen (under Ubuntu) with `C-c z':

(unless running-ms-windows
    (defun my-toggle-full-screen ()
      "Toggle between full screen and partial screen display on X11;
    courtesy of http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/FullScreen"
      (interactive)
      (x-send-client-message nil 0 nil "_NET_WM_STATE" 32
                             '(2 "_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN" 0)))

    (global-set-key [(control c) (z)] 'my-toggle-full-screen))

and then I have to switch the split of the windows, which was
the missing piece of my puzzle.

Does this make sense?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-10-10 15:53           ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-10-10 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, help-gnu-emacs

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, in winsize.el that comes with nXhtml.

If you don't mind me asking, but why does it?

It sounds very interesting and useful beyond nxhtml.  Why isn't it
packaged on it's own?

(I'm a bit bothered by big modes that do everything.  ECB forces its own
window configuration.  The Ruby on Rails mode has its own snippet
mechanism.  I feel that such bundling limits the overall usefulness.)

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-10-10 16:10             ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-10 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, in winsize.el that comes with nXhtml.
>
> If you don't mind me asking, but why does it?
>
> It sounds very interesting and useful beyond nxhtml.  Why isn't it
> packaged on it's own?

Because I do not have time to do it in another way. I constantly fix
small bugs that I find and then it just takes to much time uploading a
file to different places.

I do not think it is a problem any more since you can easily get a
single file from the nXhtml repository at Launchpad.

> (I'm a bit bothered by big modes that do everything.  ECB forces its own
> window configuration.  The Ruby on Rails mode has its own snippet
> mechanism.  I feel that such bundling limits the overall usefulness.)

I really feel the opposite! Not bundling things can make things take
forever to setup.

In the particular case of winsize.el this is not the case of course, but
when it comes to more complex things then I definitively prefer
bundling. Remember that complexity tends to grow exponentially with the
number of involved things.

Bundling lowers the number of possible combinations without any serious
restrictions. Any user who prefer shooting themselves in the foot are
free to do so, but those who do not have time with it can use the bundle ;-)

More seriously another mechanism for bundling would be better.  A very
good sysstem for version control and dependencies is what I would prefer
- if someone has time to write it, test it, etc. And of course get
people to use it, mark all old dependencies ...

@ 2008-10-10 19:04               ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-10-10 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, help-gnu-emacs

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> when it comes to more complex things then I definitively prefer
> bundling. Remember that complexity tends to grow exponentially with the
> number of involved things.

Exactly.  If two things are tied-together, there are more things
involved.  If they are separate, complexity is actually reduced.

We're talking about slightly different things, I think.  When there are
real dependencies, I don't mind packaging.  It's a sane choice in
absence of package management.  But many packages have artificial
dependencies that wouldn't have to exist.

I don't know about your package, so I don't want to make any
assumptions.  But, for example, ECB can only reasonably used with the
included (brain-dead) window management.  There is no way to just use
the (excellent) class browser.  That's a serious restriction...

It seems that winsize is optional, as well as separately usable.  I don't
mind that they're in the same zip file.  I just think that bundling
generally increases the risk that they needlessly get tangled together.
I hope that doesn't happen.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
@ 2008-10-10 19:36                 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.852.1223729847.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-10-10 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> when it comes to more complex things then I definitively prefer
>> bundling. Remember that complexity tends to grow exponentially with the
>> number of involved things.
>
> Exactly.  If two things are tied-together, there are more things
> involved.  If they are separate, complexity is actually reduced.

I think you deliberately are trying to hide my point ;-)

Yes, you are right in a sense, but my point is that you reduce
complexity by binding things together. When you bundle elisp libraries
you know which versions are included and thus reduce complexity since
the version dimension is fixed.

> We're talking about slightly different things, I think.  When there are
> real dependencies, I don't mind packaging.  It's a sane choice in
> absence of package management.  But many packages have artificial
> dependencies that wouldn't have to exist.

I do some cleanup on that whenever I have time ... ;-)

> I don't know about your package, so I don't want to make any
> assumptions.  But, for example, ECB can only reasonably used with the
> included (brain-dead) window management.  There is no way to just use
> the (excellent) class browser.  That's a serious restriction...

I do not know ECB, but I think you should look a bit closer if you
think the window management is brain-dead. I think Eric has struggled
quite a lot with the somewhat limited window management capabilities
that are available currently in Emacs.

This has been discussed on the developers list. If you are willing to
work with this I think there are still things to be done. Please look
in the archive.

You might be right that the coupling window-management/cloase browser
is unnecessary, I don't know. But I know that Eric has made some
rather silent complaints that he is doing most of the work on CEDET et
al himself. So there is room for you there as well!

> It seems that winsize is optional, as well as separately usable.  I don't
> mind that they're in the same zip file.  I just think that bundling
> generally increases the risk that they needlessly get tangled together.
> I hope that doesn't happen.

It happens all the time when you are in a hurry. It also happens when
primitives you need are not available in Emacs. Getting them into
Emacs often takes a long time because of the limited number of
developers. While waiting for that things must be bundled (or you have
to double the code which is much, much worse).

To sum it up: Most of the time what people think is bad bundling is
more a lack of understanding in the beholder.

And of course a lack of time on both sides. The hard thing is to find
reasonable ways to work with the limited resources we have. I have
found that some bundling is often an effective way.

@ 2008-10-11 12:57                   ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.852.1223729847.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-10-11 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, help-gnu-emacs

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you deliberately are trying to hide my point ;-)
>
> Yes, you are right in a sense, but my point is that you reduce
> complexity by binding things together. When you bundle elisp libraries
> you know which versions are included and thus reduce complexity since
> the version dimension is fixed.

No no, I agreed with your point.  :) It absolutely reduces complexity.
But if there are /no/ dependencies between the two packages, that's even
less complex.  Less coupling is always better...

I'm not trying to make a case against bundling dependencies, just
against solving too many problems in the same tool.  I see now that this
is not the case with yours...

> I do not know ECB, but I think you should look a bit closer if you
> think the window management is brain-dead. I think Eric has struggled
> quite a lot with the somewhat limited window management capabilities
> that are available currently in Emacs.

I have actually looked quite closely at ECB in order to remove the
window management[1].  It's certainly powerful and has some capabilities
that would suit Emacs well.  I call it "brain-dead", because it
completely takes over and breaks any other window management code.  (It's
as much a personal opinion as calling the method browser excellent)

I have the highest respect for Eric and love his work on Semantic.  I'm
not aware if he has also done significant work on ECB.  But whoever did
made some bad design choices IMHO.

As far as helping out goes, my time is already thinly spread.  There are
many things I think are needed, but only so many I can work on at a
time... So I'm happy about your winsav, because it will save me time[2].  I
have a genuine interest in having it usable outside of nxhmtl.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

[1]: I've succeeded in simulating the ECB window management to the ECB
method browser.  It wasn't pretty.

[2]: http://nschum.de/src/emacs/split-root/ was born out of the same
need, but is less complete.

@ 2008-10-11 14:07                     ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-10-11 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
[...]
> As far as helping out goes, my time is already thinly spread.  There are
> many things I think are needed, but only so many I can work on at a
> time... So I'm happy about your winsav, because it will save me time[2].  I
> have a genuine interest in having it usable outside of nxhmtl.
>

> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher
>

> [2]: http://nschum.de/src/emacs/split-root/ was born out of the same
> need, but is less complete.

I spend like the whole night to code something like winsav.el,
while I should have paying closer attention to this thread.

Though I have yet another a bit a different approach.

-ap