* emacs --daemon does not seem to work for me
@ 2009-08-06  3:46 mwnn
From: mwnn @ 2009-08-06  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
    I am using GNU Emacs 23.1. I start the emacs daemon by executing the
following command:
$ emacs --daemon

Then when i execute the following command:
$ emacsclient -c

An emacs frame appears and goes away in a jiffy!

Can somebody tell me what is the fix for this?

Regards,
mwnn

* Re: emacs --daemon does not seem to work for me
@ 2009-08-06 13:33 ` Greg Donald
From: Greg Donald @ 2009-08-06 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM, mwnn<mwnnlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am using GNU Emacs 23.1. I start the emacs daemon by executing the
> following command:
> $ emacs --daemon

That doesn't work for me either.  But M-x server-start works.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/

* Re: emacs --daemon does not seem to work for me
       [not found] <mailman.3996.1249530421.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-06 21:07 ` A.Politz
From: A.Politz @ 2009-08-06 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 6, 5:46 am, mwnn <mwnn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am using GNU Emacs 23.1. I start the emacs daemon by executing the
> following command:
> $ emacs --daemon
>
> Then when i execute the following command:
> $ emacsclient -c
>
> An emacs frame appears and goes away in a jiffy!
>
> Can somebody tell me what is the fix for this?
>
> Regards,
> mwnn

$ alias emacsclient
$ which emacs ; which emacsclient

If none of those lead you to an answer, try
$ emacs -Q --daemon
and see if that works.

-ap

* Re: emacs --daemon does not seem to work for me
@ 2009-08-07  4:27   ` mwnn
From: mwnn @ 2009-08-07  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: A.Politz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

A.Politz wrote:
> On Aug 6, 5:46 am, mwnn <mwnn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>     I am using GNU Emacs 23.1. I start the emacs daemon by executing the
>> following command:
>> $ emacs --daemon
>>
>> Then when i execute the following command:
>> $ emacsclient -c
>>
>> An emacs frame appears and goes away in a jiffy!
>>
>> Can somebody tell me what is the fix for this?
>>
>> Regards,
>> mwnn
>>

> $ alias emacsclient
> $ which emacs ; which emacsclient
>
> If none of those lead you to an answer, try
> $ emacs -Q --daemon

I have pinpointed the problem to my .emacs file. Specifically, when the
following line is commented emacsclient works without any issues:

'(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :background "dark slate gray"
:foreground "Wheat" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil
:overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 96
:width normal :foundry "unknown" :family "DejaVu Sans Mono"))))

The above code is part of "custom-set-faces". Is there something to fix
in the code?