* emacs opens after long time
@ 2009-06-10 11:09 tomer
From: tomer @ 2009-06-10 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i have just installed ubunto and emacs.
it takes about 30 seconds to load emacs.
and also the changing the font takes long time about 10 seconds.

Could you give me some advise what to do ?
Thanks
Tomer

* Re: emacs opens after long time
@ 2009-06-10 12:34 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-06-10 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomer <tomer1levin@walla.co.il> writes:

> i have just installed ubunto and emacs.
> it takes about 30 seconds to load emacs.
> and also the changing the font takes long time about 10 seconds.
>
> Could you give me some advise what to do ?

Either:

- Take a deep breath.

- Go fetch a cup of coffee.

- Think about what you're going to do.

- DO NOT load emacs more than once a year.

- Buy a faster computer (on this 2.4 GHz QuadCore Intel, it takes less
  than two seconds to boot emacs, and less than 10 seconds with my big
  ~/.emacs).  But granted, with my ~/.emacs it feels likes it takes
  five minutes to boot.  See previous point.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: emacs opens after long time
@ 2009-06-10 13:32   ` tomer
From: tomer @ 2009-06-10 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 10, 3:34 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> tomer <tomer1le...@walla.co.il> writes:
> > i have just installed ubunto and emacs.
> > it takes about 30 seconds to load emacs.
> > and also the changing the font takes long time about 10 seconds.
>
> > Could you give me some advise what to do ?
>
> Either:
>
> - Take a deep breath.
>
> - Go fetch a cup of coffee.
>
> - Think about what you're going to do.
>
> - DO NOT load emacs more than once a year.
>
> - Buy a faster computer (on this 2.4 GHz QuadCore Intel, it takes less
>   than two seconds to boot emacs, and less than 10 seconds with my big
>   ~/.emacs).  But granted, with my ~/.emacs it feels likes it takes
>   five minutes to boot.  See previous point.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

Thanks for the practical advises
I think there I miss something.
on  the same computer , the same .emacs but windows os, emacs loading
take 2 seconds ( instead of 30)
other operations takes  less than a second ( instead of 10 second in
my ubunto - font changing).
any other idea than breath & coffee (i dont drink coffee but sure i
need the breath).

@ 2009-06-10 13:50     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-06-10 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomer <tomer1levin@walla.co.il> writes:

> On Jun 10, 3:34 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>> tomer <tomer1le...@walla.co.il> writes:
>> > i have just installed ubunto and emacs.
>> > it takes about 30 seconds to load emacs.
>> > and also the changing the font takes long time about 10 seconds.
>>
>> > Could you give me some advise what to do ?
>>
>> Either:
>>
>> - Take a deep breath.
>>
>> - Go fetch a cup of coffee.
>>
>> - Think about what you're going to do.
>>
>> - DO NOT load emacs more than once a year.
>>
>> - Buy a faster computer (on this 2.4 GHz QuadCore Intel, it takes less
>>   than two seconds to boot emacs, and less than 10 seconds with my big
>>   ~/.emacs).  But granted, with my ~/.emacs it feels likes it takes
>>   five minutes to boot.  See previous point.
>>
>> --
>> __Pascal Bourguignon__
>
> Thanks for the practical advises
> I think there I miss something.
> on  the same computer , the same .emacs but windows os, emacs loading
> take 2 seconds ( instead of 30)
> other operations takes  less than a second ( instead of 10 second in
> my ubunto - font changing).
> any other idea than breath & coffee (i dont drink coffee but sure i
> need the breath).

It may be a problem of DNS configuration.  Compiled with some options
(by default I think), emacs will make some DNS requests at launch
time.   If the DNS is not very well configured, it will have to wait
for time-outs.

And same for the fonts, if you use a X font server (or rather if a X
font server is configured, and cannot be reached because of the DNS
misconfiguration).

- check /etc/resolv.conf
- check you can reach the DNS servers,
- find if there's a X font server configured,
- check you can find the IP of the X font server (nslookup).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: emacs opens after long time
@ 2009-06-10 13:52 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-06-10 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-06-10 04:09 (-0700), tomer wrote:

> i have just installed ubunto and emacs. it takes about 30 seconds to
> load emacs. and also the changing the font takes long time about 10
> seconds.

I don't use Ubuntu but report

    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs21/+bug/23005/+index

and its comments suggest that it may be a bug in "metacity" window
manager. In the comments someone told a work-around which is to add line

    (modify-frame-parameters nil '((wait-for-wm . nil)))

in the beginning of your ~/.emacs file.

I don't know anything about the problem myself. I just used Google and
copy-pasted stuff from the bug report.

* Re: emacs opens after long time
@ 2009-06-10 14:11     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-06-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.06.2009 um 15:32 schrieb tomer:

> any other idea than breath & coffee (i dont drink coffee but sure i
> need the breath).

Perform some more caching! (By launching GNU Emacs every few minutes
or however long it takes to clear the caches.)

Run GNU Emacs in some virtual server instance of some small and
efficient and stable OS.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Debugging? Klingons do not debug! Our software does not coddle the
weak."

* Re: emacs opens after long time
@ 2009-06-10 14:55 ` Jeff Clough
From: Jeff Clough @ 2009-06-10 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

tomer wrote:
> i have just installed ubunto and emacs.
> it takes about 30 seconds to load emacs.
> and also the changing the font takes long time about 10 seconds.
>
> Could you give me some advise what to do ?
> Thanks
> Tomer

This is bizarre and I don't have an answer (/maybe/ the binary you
installed has debugging symbols loaded?).

Honestly, I think Bad Things are happening to you.  I just installed
ubuntu 8.04 as the guest OS under Virtual Box (host OS Windows XP), and
emacs 22.1.1 from the Synaptic package manager last week, and it takes
less than three seconds from the time I click the launcher to when I
have a fully-responsive emacs window on my screen.  Hell, it only takes
about 30 to 45 seconds to fire up Virtual Box, load the vm, load ubuntu
and log in.  And this machine is two and a half years old.

I smell something seriously wrong with something.  I wish I could be
more helpful, but the only thing I can say is widen your focus because
this doesn't sound like an emacs problem to me.

Jeff

--

Author of the Genesys System
A "free" universal role-playing game.

* Re: emacs opens after long time
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-06-12 17:45 ` John A Pershing Jr
From: John A Pershing Jr @ 2009-06-12 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomer <tomer1levin@walla.co.il> writes:

> i have just installed ubunto and emacs.  it takes about 30 seconds to
> load emacs.  and also the changing the font takes long time about 10
> seconds.

Are you, perhaps, setting (changing) the font in your .emacs file?  If
so, then this is probably your problem.  For reasons unknown to me,
'emacs' takes a long file to change fonts in an X environment.

Rather than using (set-default-font ...) in .emacs, stick the font
definition in your .Xresources file (key 'Emacs*font') and then use
'xrdb -load' to activate it.  You will find that startup time is greatly
improved!

  -jp