* Question about mapping Control and Meta keys to mouse buttons
@ 2009-04-04  5:29 Gray Calhoun
From: Gray Calhoun @ 2009-04-04  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
  I'd like to map the control key and the meta key to mouse buttons 1
and 3 -- I'm working on a laptop and the mouse buttons are conveniently
located under my thumbs.  Ideally, I'd move the mouse buttons to the
keyboard, but I'm not concerned if I lose the mouse's functionality
entirely.  Is it possible to do this within emacs, or does it need to
happen outside of emacs?  I'm using version 22.2.1 in Debian, if it
makes a difference.

Thanks!
--Gray

* Re: Question about mapping Control and Meta keys to mouse buttons
@ 2009-04-04 16:39 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-04 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gray Calhoun; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.04.2009 um 07:29 schrieb Gray Calhoun:

> I'd like to map the control key and the meta key to mouse buttons 1
> and 3

It's not likely to work – at least the standard utility xmodmap has
no means to map a pointer key to a keyboard key and vice-versa.

--
Greetings

   Pete

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
				– Douglas Adams

* Re: Question about mapping Control and Meta keys to mouse buttons
@ 2009-04-05 16:48   ` Gray Calhoun
From: Gray Calhoun @ 2009-04-05 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Peter Dyballa

Thanks for your answer.  I want to just clarify one more thing: is
moving the modifier keys (control, meta, shift, etc.) is something that
needs to be done outside of emacs?  I know that swapping caps lock and
control needs to be done at the desktop level, but it's not clear to me
whether that's because of the special nature of caps lock or the special
nature of the control key (or both).

Best,
Gray

@ 2009-04-05 17:50     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-05 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gray Calhoun; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.04.2009 um 18:48 schrieb Gray Calhoun:

> is moving the modifier keys (control, meta, shift, etc.) is
> something that needs to be done outside of emacs?

I don't know GNU Emacs internals well enough.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.