From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Problems in Displaying endash in Emacs-w3m
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:30:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 09.10.2006 um 03:19 schrieb Charles philip Chan:

> On  8 Oct 2006, Peter_Dyballa@web.de wrote:
>
>> The decimal, octal, and hexadecimal values are always strange in GNU
>> Emacs 21 and 22. Can you check what coding system is displayed for
>> you in mode-line? I have "-u:" which stands for UTF-8. Do you have
>> set in your .emacs file some non-UTF-8 *-coding-system?
>
> Yes, all my buffers are in utf-8 (I do have the "-u" in my
> modline). The
> strange thing is that the n-dashes are displayed correctly in ordinary
> Emacs buffers, I only have problems in Emacs-w3m. Are the n-dashes
> showing for you at http://www.emacswiki.org, for example?

Well, I cannot say that I *see* them, but at least I can i-search for
these characters! In this block I can find them right after the first
word embedded in SPACE (but not in "Emacs-Wiki":

   • SiteMap – This page – the main Emacs-Wiki entry point.
   • HowTo – How to use the Emacs Wiki – especially, how to contribute.
   • Search – Search the wiki in different ways.
   • ElispArea – Upload and download EmacsLisp source code for
extending and customizing
     Emacs.
   • RecentChanges – Recent changes to the wiki.
   • News – Chronological Web log (blog) about the wiki.
   • Problems – Problems people are having with the wiki.
   • Suggestions – Your suggestions for improvement of the wiki.

(The endashes are saved here in Mail window!) W3m is an awkward mode!
It destroys all my Meta key bindings. And when I then copy text via
the Edit menu it makes Carbon Emacs beep. (In the X clients Emacsen
it behaves better!)

Charles, try to get the file utf8.txt (part of Kermit distribution)
from, for example, http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/kermit/charsets (or
directly http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/kermit/charsets/utf8.txt). It's a
description of the first 64 K characters in Unicode, i.e. its BMP,
the Basic Multilingual Plane. You can search for 2013 and then
position the cursor on [–] in the first column and then with C-s C-w
RET make isearch remember to search for – next time you type C-s C-s.

Again: you don't lose anything when you launch a second GNU Emacs
with -Q, but you gain one that is working, that is not confused by
any personal or site specific settings. When this one works fine, as
it should, then it's likely that some customisation is causing the
behaviour you complain. To find out which line is the culprit you'll
have to try the method of binary search in .emacs: first comment
first half, save, and launch a new Emacs. If the behaviour is still
faulty kill this Emacs, uncomment the first half, and comment the
second half instead, and save. Launch new Emacs. If it runs fine it
means that the culprit is in the commented second half. So uncomment
first half of the second half (i.e. third quarter of .emacs), save,
and launch another Emacs. Continue until you've found the line. If
some instructions are inside of blocks, as I have, it can become
complicated ...

Do you set-language-environment in .emacs? Try to avoid it! It's
meant for 7 for 8 bit folks. It's better to have LANG or LC_CTYPE set
in shell environment.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
                                     Ernest Jan Plugge