* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-30 18:46 Magnus Berg
From: Magnus Berg @ 2008-11-30 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Sorry, you are right. Look at the option server-window in Emacs. (I am
>>> surprised it is not mentioned.) Does that help you?
>>
>> No! :-) I have read quite a lot about emacsserver. (I got the "GNU Emacs
>> manual" as a book and it covers version 22) I have searched and looked up
>> the options but I don't get a grip of it. I found a option for emacsserver
>> there I can set the variable "server-window" to a window or a frame. And it
>> is by default set to "Use selected window" and it is possible to chose
>> "Display in new frame", "Use pop-to-buffer" and "Other function". I suppose
>> the last alternative could include some smart setting for the ones who knows
>> lisp or what to do. But I don't.
>>
>> But I'm not sitting here crying :-) I installed Gnuserv and it does what I
>> want. But it should be fun to now how to do it without extra lisp packages,
>> if it is possible with the included emacsserver.
>>
>> Thanks for your interest in my question Lennart!
>

> But can you then please explain what you want to do then? I thought
> you wanted to open a file in a specific Emacs frame. Is not that what
> you want to do?

Yes!
But the defult "Use selected window" in the the variable "server-window"
doesn't, even if it maybe should. And I had the argument
(server-start) in my .emacs As I understand it that should run Emacs as
Emacsserver. And I choose to open new files, from the filemanager with
the application/command emacsclient. But all opened files creates a new
frame.

[parent not found: <mailman.1447.1227901272.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-28 19:41 Magnus Berg
From: Magnus Berg @ 2008-11-28 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2008-11-27 13:03 Magnus Berg
From: Magnus Berg @ 2008-11-27 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> >/ Hi!/
> >
> >/ I'm little confused about the possibilities with Emacsserver in Emacs 23/
> >/ (cvs). I had used Gnuserv before because it makes it possible to open a new/
> >/ buffers/files, from the filemanager etc, in the initial frame (whith/
> >/ dtemacs).  I don't want to have my screen cluttered with frames./
> >/ Now I wonder if it's possible to do the same with Emacs 23:s Emacsserver or/
> >/ if I should continue to use Gnuserver for that. If it's possible with/
> >/ Emacsserver, can you tell me how./
>
> Maybe you can find your answer here:
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient

No, there was nothing about opening new buffers/files in the initial frame.

* Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-26 13:14 Magnus Berg