* How to convert the case for a single letter
@ 2008-11-20 10:58 Anand S. Dhankshirur
From: Anand S. Dhankshirur @ 2008-11-20 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: GnuEmacs Help

Hi,
How do i convert the case of the letter (in the word) from lower to
upper or vice versa.
I know M-L and M-U do that for the word.
Rgds
Anand

* Re: How to convert the case for a single letter
@ 2008-11-20 11:10 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-20 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: asd; +Cc: GnuEmacs Help

Am 20.11.2008 um 11:58 schrieb Anand S. Dhankshirur:

> How do i convert the case of the letter (in the word) from lower to
> upper or vice versa.

Upcase-region, downcase-region. Or create something own.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best."
				– H. Allen Smith

* Re: How to convert the case for a single letter
@ 2008-11-20 11:29   ` Anand S. Dhankshirur
From: Anand S. Dhankshirur @ 2008-11-20 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa, help-gnu-emacs

That almost does the job.

       [not found] <mailman.824.1227178431.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-11-20 11:48 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-11-20 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 20, 2:58 am, "Anand S. Dhankshirur" <a...@cdotb.ernet.in>
wrote:
> Hi,
> How do i convert the case of the letter (in the word) from lower to
> upper or vice versa.
> I know M-L and M-U do that for the word.

you might be interested in this function:

(defun toggle-letter-case ()
  "Toggle the letter case of current word or text selection.
Toggles from 3 cases: UPPER CASE, lower case, Title Case,
in that cyclic order."
(interactive)
(let (pos1 pos2 (deactivate-mark nil) (case-fold-search nil))
  (if (and transient-mark-mode mark-active)
      (setq pos1 (region-beginning)
            pos2 (region-end))
    (setq pos1 (car (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'word))
          pos2 (cdr (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'word))))

  (when (not (eq last-command this-command))
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char pos1)
      (cond
       ((looking-at "[[:lower:]][[:lower:]]") (put this-command 'state
"all lower"))
       ((looking-at "[[:upper:]][[:upper:]]") (put this-command 'state
"all caps") )
       ((looking-at "[[:upper:]][[:lower:]]") (put this-command 'state
"init caps") )
       (t (put this-command 'state "all lower") )
       )
      )
    )

  (cond
   ((string= "all lower" (get this-command 'state))
    (upcase-initials-region pos1 pos2) (put this-command 'state "init
caps"))
   ((string= "init caps" (get this-command 'state))
    (upcase-region pos1 pos2) (put this-command 'state "all caps"))
   ((string= "all caps" (get this-command 'state))
    (downcase-region pos1 pos2) (put this-command 'state "all lower"))
   )
)
)

You can assign it a keyboard shortcut so you can reduce the need for
Alt+u, Alt+l, Alt+c, Ctrl+x Ctrl+u, Ctrl+x Ctrl+l to just one.

For detail, see:

• Usability Problems With Emacs's Letter-Case Commands
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_upcase-word.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

@ 2008-11-20 23:50 ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2008-11-20 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 20 Nov 2008, Anand S. Dhankshirur wrote:

> How do i convert the case of the letter (in the word) from lower to
> upper or vice versa.
> I know M-L and M-U do that for the word.

I wrote toggle-case.el to do that.  You can find it here:

    http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html

Let me know if you have problems.

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
    Ramblings of a Gay Man => http://www.northbound-train.com/ramblings
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

@ 2008-11-21 11:12 ` Niels Giesen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.932.1227272034.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Niels Giesen @ 2008-11-21 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Anand S. Dhankshirur" <asd@cdotb.ernet.in> writes:

> Hi,
> How do i convert the case of the letter (in the word) from lower to
> upper or vice versa.
> I know M-L and M-U do that for the word.
> Rgds
> Anand

capitalize-word (M-c)

* Re: How to convert the case for a single letter
@ 2008-11-21 12:53   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.932.1227272034.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-21 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Niels Giesen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.11.2008 um 12:12 schrieb Niels Giesen:

> "Anand S. Dhankshirur" writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> How do i convert the case of the letter (in the word) from lower to
>> upper or vice versa.
>> I know M-L and M-U do that for the word.
>> Rgds
>> Anand
>
> capitalize-word (M-c)

Right! This and downcase-word (M-l) work also for the rest of the
word – and Both Will Fail On A Word That Has A Few Upper-Case Letters
In It.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The best way to accelerate a PC is 9.8 m/s2

@ 2008-11-21 14:29     ` Niels Giesen
From: Niels Giesen @ 2008-11-21 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 21.11.2008 um 12:12 schrieb Niels Giesen:
>
>> "Anand S. Dhankshirur" writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> How do i convert the case of the letter (in the word) from lower to
>>> upper or vice versa.
>>> I know M-L and M-U do that for the word.
>>> Rgds
>>> Anand
>>
>> capitalize-word (M-c)
>

> Right! This and downcase-word (M-l) work also for the rest of the word
> – and Both Will Fail On A Word That Has A Few Upper-Case Letters  In
> It.

Right, that is annoying. How about something like

(defun upcase-char (arg)
  (interactive "P")
  (upcase-region
   (point)
   (+ (point) arg)))

* Re: How to convert the case for a single letter
@ 2008-11-21 15:08       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-21 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Niels Giesen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.11.2008 um 15:29 schrieb Niels Giesen:

>> Right! This and downcase-word (M-l) work also for the rest of the
>> word
>> – and Both Will Fail On A Word That Has A Few Upper-Case Letters  In
>> It.
>
> Right, that is annoying. How about something like
>
> (defun upcase-char (arg)
>   (interactive "P")
>   (upcase-region
>    (point)
>    (+ (point) arg)))

Yes, something simple like this, or a keyboard macro of his own, was
part of my recommendation to Anand. (For me it happens so rarely that
I can do this manually, once needed. With a keyboard of six or seven
modifiers an unused key binding could be determined, s-~, for example)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Heißt 'Wegwerfgesellschaft', dass mensch diese Gesellschaft weg
werfen *kann* oder *muss*?

* RE: How to convert the case for a single letter
@ 2008-11-22 19:32 ` Rancier, Jeffrey
From: Rancier, Jeffrey @ 2008-11-22 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: asd, GnuEmacs Help

You could mark the letter/region and us upcase-region