* Audio Feedback in Flymake: Easily  Extending Flymake Itself
@ 2008-10-09  5:33 Veli-Pekka Tätilä
From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä @ 2008-10-09  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Simply put, can I tell Flymake to produce sound when a new error is
"created" or an existing one fixed? Visually, flymake uses a different
background color to indicate line statuses and posts the error and warnings
counts, I think, to the mode line. However, neither is particularly easy to
read out smartly with a Windows screen reader from Emacs, who just sees a
large "console", so I'd like to get audio feedback in stead. I'm using
flymake_lua from:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/FlymakeLua

Playing the sound as such

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/Sound-Output.html

or posting a message containing a bell to the message line monitored by the
screen reader

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/html_node/message.html

seems easy enough.

I've taken a quick look at the list of functions in flymake but didn't find
hooks to add there. Nor did I find anything I could directly extend, in the
Lua specific bits. I'm rather new to Elisp but have read the gist of
Programming in Emacs Lisp.

On a side note, flymake is one of the many things that made me go wow when I
saw it in Emacs. Others, that I'm also using in Lua, include
outline-minor-mode matching functions, incremental regexp searches, the Lua
mode itself (due to the indents I do with C-i), not to mention dynamic
abbreviation  bound to the tab key, for locals and function names. Great
features that go well together in coding.

Any help appreciated.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä
Accessibility, Apps and Coding plus Synths and Music:

* Re: Audio Feedback in Flymake: Easily  Extending Flymake Itself
@ 2008-10-09 21:14 ` Veli-Pekka Tätilä
From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä @ 2008-10-09 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs