* Adding a keybinding for a major mode
@ 2008-10-13 13:40 Corey Foote
From: Corey Foote @ 2008-10-13 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How come the short cuts for M-x comment region (C-c C-c) and M-x (C-u C-c C-c) uncomment-region only work in some major modes an not others (for example emacs-lisp mode)? And how would I enable them for certain modes?

* Re: Adding a keybinding for a major mode
@ 2008-10-13 14:47 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-13 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corey Foote; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Corey Foote wrote:
> How come the short cuts for M-x comment region (C-c C-c) and M-x (C-u
> C-c C-c) uncomment-region only work in some major modes an not others
> (for example emacs-lisp mode)? And how would I enable them for certain
> modes?

Maybe because they break the conventions?

 (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions")

BTW, if you want to find out where the keys are bound this way then you
might use the command `describe-key-and-map-briefly'. Ehum, which comes
with nXhtml (just because I do not have time to distribute it another way).

* Re: Adding a keybinding for a major mode
       [not found] <mailman.929.1223905211.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-16 21:27 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-10-16 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 13, 6:40 am, Corey Foote <coreyfo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How come the short cuts for M-x comment region (C-c C-c) and M-x (C-u C-c C-c) uncomment-region only work in some major modes an not others (for example emacs-lisp mode)? And how would I enable them for certain modes?

maybe because comment-region and uncomment-region are probably
replaced by comment-dwim (Ctrl+;).

Lennart Borgman wrote:
«Maybe because they break the conventions?
 (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions")
»

emacs lisp mode is a old, basic mode... i doubt it breaks emacs
keybinding conventions.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Adding a keybinding for a major mode
@ 2008-10-16 22:32   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-16 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> On Oct 13, 6:40 am, Corey Foote <coreyfo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> How come the short cuts for M-x comment region (C-c C-c) and M-x (C-u C-c C-c) uncomment-region only work in some major modes an not others (for example emacs-lisp mode)? And how would I enable them for certain modes?
>
> maybe because comment-region and uncomment-region are probably
> replaced by comment-dwim (Ctrl+;).

Yes.

> Lennart Borgman wrote:
> «Maybe because they break the conventions?
>  (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions")
> »
>
> emacs lisp mode is a old, basic mode... i doubt it breaks emacs
> keybinding conventions.

You are right, I should learn to read a bit better before I answer:

C-c C-c is reserved for major modes ...