* controlling window-configuration changes
@ 2008-06-21  4:26 knubee
       [not found] ` <mailman.13665.1214057002.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: knubee @ 2008-06-21  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 i realize that questions about window configurations are faqs, but i
have not been able to find an answer to this particular question.

i tend to split my emacs frame so that there are two buffers side by
side (C-x 3). this works fine, but there are some applications that
insist on using the entire emacs frame when they are invoked (org-mode
agenda view, TOC for latex files, etc.)

is there a way to specify that all apps respect the vertical boundary
of the current window? or does this require configuring something for
each of the offending apps?

related question: when using moinmoin mode with screen-lines.el, long
lines are wrapped appropriately if the window is the size of the full
emacs frame. But dividing the frame into two side-by-side windows does
not work. Then, the lines of text have the right-facing arrows (to
indicate that the lines continue beyond the right-hand edge). Is there
a way to fix this (or some other utility for long lines) that will
respect the edge of the window?

thanks.

* Re: controlling window-configuration changes
@ 2008-06-21 14:03 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.13665.1214057002.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-06-21 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

knubee wrote:
> related question: when using moinmoin mode with screen-lines.el, long
> lines are wrapped appropriately if the window is the size of the full
> emacs frame. But dividing the frame into two side-by-side windows does
> not work. Then, the lines of text have the right-facing arrows (to
> indicate that the lines continue beyond the right-hand edge). Is there
> a way to fix this (or some other utility for long lines) that will
> respect the edge of the window?

Try setting truncate-partial-width-windows to nil.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-06-22  9:11   ` knubee
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13695.1214129062.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: knubee @ 2008-06-22  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Try setting truncate-partial-width-windows to nil.

ah, great! thanks.

how do i set it to only work for moinmoin mode? i tried the following,
but no success:

(add-hook 'moinmoin-mode-hook 'truncate-partial-width-windows nil)

* Re: controlling window-configuration changes
@ 2008-06-22 10:04     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13695.1214129062.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-22 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

knubee wrote:
>> Try setting truncate-partial-width-windows to nil.
>
> ah, great! thanks.
>
> how do i set it to only work for moinmoin mode? i tried the following,
> but no success:
>
> (add-hook 'moinmoin-mode-hook 'truncate-partial-width-windows nil)

add-hook need a function, not a variable. See

   C-h f add-hook RET

@ 2008-06-22 10:47       ` knubee
       [not found]         ` <mailman.13699.1214136949.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: knubee @ 2008-06-22 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> add-hook need a function, not a variable. See
>
>    C-h f add-hook RET

thanks for the pointer.

i tried:

  (defun my-truncate ()
     (setq truncate-partial-width-windows nil))

  (add-hook 'moinmoin-mode-hook 'my-truncate)

this "works" -- but only in the sense that all buffers and modes now
treat truncate-partial-width-windows as nil. which seems equivalent to
just setq'ing it at the global level. so i also tried:

 (add-hook 'moinmoin-mode-hook '(lambda () (setq truncate-partial-
width-windows nil)))

this does not seem to work.

is using add-hook even the correct way to restrict this to a mode --
or am i just messing up the definitions?

@ 2008-06-22 12:15         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]         ` <mailman.13699.1214136949.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-22 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

knubee wrote:
>> add-hook need a function, not a variable. See
>>
>>    C-h f add-hook RET
>
> thanks for the pointer.
>
> i tried:
>
>   (defun my-truncate ()
>      (setq truncate-partial-width-windows nil))
>
>   (add-hook 'moinmoin-mode-hook 'my-truncate)
>
> this "works" -- but only in the sense that all buffers and modes now
> treat truncate-partial-width-windows as nil. which seems equivalent to
> just setq'ing it at the global level. so i also tried:

Sorry, I should have checked what you where trying to set.

You have to make the variable buffer local to. Try

(defun my-truncate ()
   (set (make-local-variable 'truncate-partial-width-windows) nil))

* Re: controlling window-configuration changes
@ 2008-06-22 12:22 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2008-06-22 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 >   (defun my-truncate ()
 >      (setq truncate-partial-width-windows nil))
 >
 >   (add-hook 'moinmoin-mode-hook 'my-truncate)

Does

(defun my-truncate ()
   (set (make-local-variable 'truncate-partial-width-windows) nil))

(add-hook 'moinmoin-mode-hook 'my-truncate)

do what you want?

@ 2008-06-23  0:48           ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-23  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (defun my-truncate ()
>    (set (make-local-variable 'truncate-partial-width-windows) nil))

ah, that did it! (good also to know about make-local-variable) thank
you both.