* problems configuring smtpmail-send-it
@ 2008-06-11  4:05 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2008-06-11  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

summary: I have setup Thunderbird on a host and it sends mail using
SMTP. I have Emacs setup on the same host and it does not send mail.

details:

I'm using an eee running the default version of Xandros linux, which
installed a downlevel emacs:

/home/user> emacs --version
GNU Emacs 21.4.1

It works for most purposes. The eee is running on a LAN connecting to
the internet via cable modem using DHCP: it has hostname=
eeepc-tomroche.nc.rr.com and default id=user. The eee comes with
Thunderbird, which I was able to configure to use my mail forwarder's
SMTP:

server=sasl.smtp.pobox.com
port=26
authentication=use name and password
   name=foo@pobox.com
use secure connection=no

Thus configured, I can send mail from the eee using its Thunderbird
(which I'm using to send this post) ... but not emacs. I currently
have the following stanza in my .emacs:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/smtpmail/Authentication.html#Authentication
 > (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
 >   '(("sasl.smtp.pobox.com" 26 "foo@pobox.com"
 >     "notMyPassword")))
 > (setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "pobox.com")
 > (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
 > (setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
 > ; try setting above
 > ; (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

I have tried several variants of the above, but when sending, with
`C-x m`, the following buffer

 > To: tlroche@gmail.com
 > Subject: test sending email -nw from eee, take 7
 > From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>
 > --text follows this line--

 > test sending email -nw from eee

I always fail with

*trace of SMTP session to sasl.smtp.pobox.com*
 > 220 a-sasl-quonix.sasl.smtp.pobox.com ESMTP Postfix
 > EHLO eeepc-tomroche.nc.rr.com
 > 250-a-sasl-quonix.sasl.smtp.pobox.com
 > 250-PIPELINING
 > 250-SIZE 25165824
 > 250-ETRN
 > 250-STARTTLS
 > 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
 > 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
 > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
 > 250-8BITMIME
 > 250 DSN
 > MAIL FROM: <user@eeepc-tomroche.nc.rr.com> SIZE=151
 > 250 2.1.0 Ok
 > RCPT TO: <foo@gmail.com>
 > 450 4.1.8 <user@eeepc-tomroche.nc.rr.com>: Sender address rejected:
 > Domain not found
 > QUIT
 > 221 2.0.0 Bye

What am I doing wrong? TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* Re: problems configuring smtpmail-send-it
@ 2008-06-12  6:59 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-06-12  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> wrote:

>> MAIL FROM: <user@eeepc-tomroche.nc.rr.com> SIZE=151

Does setting `user-mail-address' help?

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: problems configuring smtpmail-send-it
       [not found] <mailman.13113.1213232786.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-17 13:15 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2008-06-17 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> writes:

> summary: I have setup Thunderbird on a host and it sends mail using
> SMTP. I have Emacs setup on the same host and it does not send mail.
>
> details:
>
> I'm using an eee running the default version of Xandros linux, which
> installed a downlevel emacs:
>
> /home/user> emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 21.4.1

The version of smtpmail.el that comes with Emacs 21.4 doesn't support
SMTP authentication.  You want a more recent version of that library.
See http://josefsson.org/emacs-rfc2554.html, or just upgrade your Emacs.