* C-mode-style whitesmith with emacs 21/22
@ 2008-02-15  5:37 Lars Meier
From: Lars Meier @ 2008-02-15  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo NG,

I'm using whitesmith style for the emacs c-mode because this style is
very simular to the existing code I'm working on.

Some time ago I switched to emacs 22 because the version has some
improvements which are important for me. But with emacs 22 the
whitesmith-style does the indentation different than emacs 21 at least
in the default setting. Hear is a short example:

emacs 21:

int main()
   {
   my_function(xxxxxxxxxxxx,
               yyyyyyyyyyyy,
               zzzzzzzzzz);
   }

emacs 22:

int main()
   {
   my_function(xxxxxxxxxxxx,
      yyyyyyyyyyyy,
      zzzzzzzzzz);
   }

But the emacs-22-version is not what I need and it's very tedious to fix
this by hand. Is there a simple way to change this back to the old
behaviour maybe by changing an indentation setting or something like that?

Lars

* Re: C-mode-style whitesmith with emacs 21/22
@ 2008-02-15 16:21 ` J. David Boyd
       [not found] ` <mailman.7449.1203092500.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: J. David Boyd @ 2008-02-15 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Meier <skuldLEAVE_THIS_OUT81@gmx.de> writes:

> Hallo NG,
>
> I'm using whitesmith style for the emacs c-mode because this style is
> very simular to the existing code I'm working on.
>
> Some time ago I switched to emacs 22 because the version has some
> improvements which are important for me. But with emacs 22 the
> whitesmith-style does the indentation different than emacs 21 at least
> in the default setting. Hear is a short example:
>
> emacs 21:
>
> int main()
>    {
>    my_function(xxxxxxxxxxxx,
>                yyyyyyyyyyyy,
>                zzzzzzzzzz);
>    }
>

> emacs 22:
>
> int main()
>    {
>    my_function(xxxxxxxxxxxx,
>       yyyyyyyyyyyy,
>       zzzzzzzzzz);
>    }
>

> But the emacs-22-version is not what I need and it's very tedious to fix
> this by hand. Is there a simple way to change this back to the old
> behaviour maybe by changing an indentation setting or something like that?
>

> Lars

I do something like this,

(defun my-c-mode-common-hook ()
  (c-set-style "user")
  (c-set-offset 'case-label '+)
  (c-set-offset 'substatement-open 0)
  (setq fill-column 75)
  (imenu-add-menubar-index)
  (add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'turn-on-cwarn-mode)
  )
(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'my-c-mode-common-hook)

You would need to change "user" to "whitesmith", and tweak a little,
but it should not be all that hard to do.

Dave

@ 2008-02-17 17:50   ` Lars Meier
From: Lars Meier @ 2008-02-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I do something like this,
>
> (defun my-c-mode-common-hook ()
>   (c-set-style "user")
>   (c-set-offset 'case-label '+)
>   (c-set-offset 'substatement-open 0)
>   (setq fill-column 75)
>   (imenu-add-menubar-index)
>   (add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'turn-on-cwarn-mode)
>   )
> (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'my-c-mode-common-hook)
>

> You would need to change "user" to "whitesmith", and tweak a little,
> but it should not be all that hard to do.

Thank you for your help but I didn't get it working up to now. Your
example shows fixed offset and that worked. But I need variable offset
according to the preceding line. I found something in that way in the
emacs help but I didn't get it working.

@ 2008-02-24 22:15 ` Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2008-02-24 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Meier wrote:
> Hallo NG,
>
> I'm using whitesmith style for the emacs c-mode because this style is
> very simular to the existing code I'm working on.
>
> Some time ago I switched to emacs 22 because the version has some
> improvements which are important for me. But with emacs 22 the
> whitesmith-style does the indentation different than emacs 21 at least
> in the default setting. Hear is a short example:
>
> emacs 21:
>
> int main()
>    {
>    my_function(xxxxxxxxxxxx,
>                yyyyyyyyyyyy,
>                zzzzzzzzzz);
>    }
>

> emacs 22:
>
> int main()
>    {
>    my_function(xxxxxxxxxxxx,
>       yyyyyyyyyyyy,
>       zzzzzzzzzz);
>    }
>

> But the emacs-22-version is not what I need and it's very tedious to fix
> this by hand. Is there a simple way to change this back to the old
> behaviour maybe by changing an indentation setting or something like that?

I don't know if you've found a solution to this, but you probably should
file a bug report since it's clearly (IMO) wrong behaviour.  (I use
ellemtel which doesn't seem to be affected in the same way.)

- Will