From: ken <gebser@speakeasy.net>
To: GNU Emacs List <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: display of ancient Greek chars (after: Re: set UTF-8 for a file (HTML))
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:17:13 -0500	[thread overview]

On 02/10/2008 06:11 PM Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 10.02.2008 um 21:09 schrieb ken:
>
>> Is there another variable:value pair I can include in the first line
>> (specified above) to make the Greek characters display correctly in
>> emacs?
>
> No, not that easily (there were rich or augmented text modes mentioned
> on this list, but I don't remember). The problem you have in GNU Emacs
> is that you either need a (mono-spaced) font that has Latin and Greek
> glyphs (xfd can display a font's contents, you could also set for
> xfontsel a sampleTextUCS resource that combines Greek and some Latin to
> instantly show whether the chosen font is able to display it, you also
> can use fc-list to display only fonts that have Greek support: 'fc-list
> :lang=el', the "word" ``el´´ is from RFC-3066/ISO 639, which you should
> know as HTML programmer) or you need to setup a fontset in which you
> combine font A to serve for Latin and font B to serve for Greek (and
> font C for Indic ...). Something like this might work (for one font size):
>

>     (create-fontset-from-fontset-spec
> "-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-9-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-09pt_adobe_courier" t
> 'noerror)
>     (set-fontset-font "fontset-09pt_adobe_courier"
> 'latin-iso8859-1  '("adobe-courier" . "iso8859-1"))

Peter,

Thanks, but that didn't work.

I cut-n-pasted the code you provided into its own file.  Then I ran

emacs -q -l emacs.d/.emacs-with-multi-langs &

(emacs.d/.emacs-with-multi-langs is the file your code went into.)

Then I opened up (visited) my file with the Greek chars in it and they
showed up as what I can only describe as "garbage" characters, not even
the blocks I had before and certainly nothing like Greek.

On an optimistic note, running "fc-list :lang=el" returned 86 lines of
fonts, many with multiple styles.  And

$ fc-list :lang=el|grep -i "courier new"
Courier
New:style=Regular,Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κανονικά,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,thường,Arrunta
Courier New:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurzíva,fed
kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα Πλάγια,Negrita Cursiva,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras
Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet
Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Tučná
kurzíva,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Krepko poševno,Lodi etzana
Courier
New:style=Italic,Cursiva,kurzíva,kursiv,Πλάγια,Kursivoitu,Italique,Dőlt,Corsivo,Cursief,Kursywa,Itálico,Курсив,İtalik,Poševno,nghiêng,Etzana
Courier
New:style=Bold,Negreta,tučné,fed,Fett,Έντονα,Negrita,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiony,Negrito,Полужирный,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,đậm,Lodia

(Line wrap broke the lines above between "Courier" and "New".)

So would it fix things to change somehow this line in your code:

(set-fontset-font "fontset-09pt_adobe_courier" (cons (decode-char 'ucs
#x0370) (decode-char 'ucs #x03cf)) '("courier new" . "iso10646-1"))    ;
Greek

??

Thanks again.

--
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
same level of thinking we were at when we created them.