* Collecting keywords in bibtex mode
@ 2007-11-14 22:54 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-11-14 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi to all

I'm sadly missing a feature in bibtex mode. It should be possible to
collect a list of all values in all keywords = {value} lines of a
bibtex buffer. Alternatively a list of all possible values for this
field should be definable by the user (maybe in some commented region
on top or bottom of the file like the Local Variables).

The point is, that the keywords-fields of a bibtex database should
have a consistent terminology. When, for example, I want to view all
my collected entries on the topic "warfare" there are possibly some
books that are not matched because I accidentally gave them the
keyword "war" instead of "warfare". This could be better controlled at
the time of inserting a new entry with a kind of
"bibtex-show-and-select-keywords" function.

Other bibliography software (like Endnote and JabRef) are aware of
keywords. In Emacs I haven't found such a feature. Have I overlooked
it? Or did I (like so often) just not understand the power of a
certain function?

Greetings

Sven

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Collecting keywords in bibtex mode
@ 2007-11-14 23:12 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-11-14 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld, Carsten Dominik; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> Hi to all
>
> I'm sadly missing a feature in bibtex mode. It should be possible to
> collect a list of all values in all keywords = {value} lines of a
> bibtex buffer. Alternatively a list of all possible values for this
> field should be definable by the user (maybe in some commented region
> on top or bottom of the file like the Local Variables).
>
> The point is, that the keywords-fields of a bibtex database should
> have a consistent terminology. When, for example, I want to view all
> my collected entries on the topic "warfare" there are possibly some
> books that are not matched because I accidentally gave them the
> keyword "war" instead of "warfare". This could be better controlled at
> the time of inserting a new entry with a kind of
> "bibtex-show-and-select-keywords" function.
>
> Other bibliography software (like Endnote and JabRef) are aware of
> keywords. In Emacs I haven't found such a feature. Have I overlooked
> it? Or did I (like so often) just not understand the power of a
> certain function?
>
> Greetings
>
> Sven

It sounds like a good idea and something that would be equally useful in
org-mode.

BTW, has anyone used org-mode for keeping article references etc? Some
suggestions about how to do it?

* Re: Collecting keywords in bibtex mode
@ 2007-11-15 13:02 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-15 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Carsten Dominik

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> I'm sadly missing a feature in bibtex mode. It should be possible to
> collect a list of all values in all keywords = {value} lines of a
> bibtex buffer. Alternatively a list of all possible values for this
> field should be definable by the user (maybe in some commented region
> on top or bottom of the file like the Local Variables).

I tried to implement this:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/bibtex-utils.el

Try M-x bibtex-make-field-keywords

It should create a keywords field and ask for each keywords depending on
current values is the buffer.  You can also have a look at the function
`bibtex-select-entries': it lets you display entries depending on the
value of a specific field.

Let me know if this is useful.

--
Bastien

* Re: Collecting keywords in bibtex mode
@ 2007-11-15 13:06   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-15 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Carsten Dominik

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>> Other bibliography software (like Endnote and JabRef) are aware of
>> keywords. In Emacs I haven't found such a feature. Have I overlooked
>> it? Or did I (like so often) just not understand the power of a
>> certain function?
>
> It sounds like a good idea and something that would be equally useful
> in org-mode.

Not 100% of what you mean by "in org-mode" : do you mean this would be
useful to keep references in org-mode (as your sentence below suggests)
and be able to add keywords to the BibTeX entries interactively ?

> BTW, has anyone used org-mode for keeping article references etc? Some
> suggestions about how to do it?

I guess people on emacs-orgmode list could answer that.

In any case, I'm not using org-mode for this right now, but I can easily
imagine how this would be done : each BibTeX entry would be an Org entry
and we would use properties to store information on it. Then an exporter
would be able to export this to BibTeX, refer, endnote.  Pretty exciting
IMO !

--
Bastien

* Re: Collecting keywords in bibtex mode
@ 2007-11-15 22:52   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-11-15 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Carsten Dominik