* EOL question
@ 2003-05-10 12:20 Michael Powe
From: Michael Powe @ 2003-05-10 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,

is there a way for me to have NTemacs always write files in unix
format?  i've read the manual but i don't seem to see anything that
creates this behavior.  when i create files on nt, i don't want to
have to strip the carriage returns when i move the files onto linux.

thanks.

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Waterbury, CT USA
"I wrote what I did because as a woman, as a mother, I was oppressed

* Re: EOL question
@ 2003-05-10 13:32 ` Marco Parrone
From: Marco Parrone @ 2003-05-10 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: EOL question
@ 2003-05-10 17:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-10 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Michael Powe <michael@trollope.org>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 10 May 2003 08:20:59 -0400
>
> is there a way for me to have NTemacs always write files in unix
> format?  i've read the manual but i don't seem to see anything that
> creates this behavior.

In the Emacs manual, go to the node "Text and Binary", and read the
descriprion of the "untranslated filesystem" feature.  It allows you
to control the EOL convention used for files created by Emacs on a
filesystem by filesystem basis.

* Re: EOL question
@ 2003-05-10 17:37   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-10 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Marco Parrone <marc0@autistici.org>
> Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 13:32:21 GMT
>
> Michael Powe <michael@trollope.org> writes:
>
> > is there a way for me to have NTemacs always write files in unix
> > format?  i've read the manual but i don't seem to see anything that
> > creates this behavior.  when i create files on nt, i don't want to
> > have to strip the carriage returns when i move the files onto linux.
>
> Try
>
>   (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "" 'unix)

I don't recommend this solution.  Not only does it disable _all_
conversions, not just EOL conversions, for files whose encodings are
known in advance, but it will also break whenever coding-systems alist
is modified by some package or the user in their ~/.emacs.

Don't do that.

See my other mail in this thread for the solution recommended by the
Emacs manual.