thorne wrote: > I tried doing this with font-lock, and was able to do everything i > wanted, except that the underscores--which i make invisible--leave a > blank space instead of completely disappearing. > > So, maybe a more focused version of my question would be: is there a > way to selectively hide strings of text in a buffer such that they > still exist if you kill the region they are in and yank it somewhere > else? Try facemenu-set-invisible . I found that by running C-h a (apropos) invisible (People were discussing invisible text a few weeks ago). Matthew Flaschen