Tim X wrote: > > Now for some final clarification - at what point does GNU/Linux become > something other than GNU/Linux? For example, I would expect a > distribution like Debian is certainly of the GNU/Linux variety. > However, what about Red Hat and SuSe? Of course. They are using the same basic tools and software as Debian. Possibly even more unclear, what > about the distribution Oracle is planning to release as the supported > platform for their Oracle databases, can you also call this GNU/Linux? Even more obvious. Oracle's product is nothing but Red Hat Enterprise Linux repackaged. > If there are some distributions which are GNU/Linux and some which are > not, what is the generic name used to refer to all of them > collectively (i.e. in the sense of Unix or *nix)? Linux distributions, but you will not find a major distribution that doesn't rely on GNU. Only a few embedded systems use the kernel alone. > I also gather from listening to RMS and from some reading that we > should also avoid referring to GNU software as open source, but > instead as "Free Software". RMS started the movement and the GNU Project and that is the term he chose to associate with both. Matthew Flaschen