* Tex mode
@ 2006-12-29 10:39 bgm-rao
       [not found] ` <EED9B3FD-B7E6-48DD-9A9B-E55D7ED2C220@Web.DE>
From: bgm-rao @ 2006-12-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am running emacs 22. It crashed while I was a editing a Latex file.
When I relaunched emacs and open tex files, I get this message and I am
not able to load tex-mode

File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "tex")

Please help.

* Re: Tex mode
       [not found] <mailman.2482.1167388802.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-29 11:37 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-12-29 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

* bgm-rao@ieee.org (2006-12-29) writes:

> I am running emacs 22. It crashed while I was a editing a Latex file.

What does that mean, it crashed?  Did it die or did it hang?  Do you
have a backtrace?  Does this happen regularly?

> When I relaunched emacs and open tex files, I get this message and I am
> not able to load tex-mode
>
> File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "tex")

It seems you are trying to use AUCTeX.  Is it installed?  How are you

Ralf

* Re: Tex mode
       [not found] ` <EED9B3FD-B7E6-48DD-9A9B-E55D7ED2C220@Web.DE>
@ 2006-12-29 12:21   ` bgm-rao
From: bgm-rao @ 2006-12-29 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >> File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
    >> "tex")

     > Can you give us the output of these UNIX commands:

     > 	head -6 <your tex file>
     > 	tail -9 <your tex file>

     > You can launch GNU Emacs with the option --debug-init to see more of
     > the cause for the error. Optimally you would launch GNU Emacs with -Q
     > --debug-init to exclude that any of your private or your site's
     > customisation causes the error.

Thanks for the help.. For some reason after I did what you suggested -
emacs -Q --debug-init once and re-launched emacs again, it works all right!

I guess, I wouldn't know what happened at all?

Regards.

* Re: Tex mode
       [not found] <200612291441.kBTEfqg8007643@hormel5.ieee.org>
@ 2006-12-29 16:48 ` bgm-rao
       [not found] ` <mailman.2502.1167410938.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bgm-rao @ 2006-12-29 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> I am running emacs 22. It crashed while I was a editing a Latex file.

     > What does that mean, it crashed?  Did it die or did it hang?  Do you
     > have a backtrace?  Does this happen regularly?

It died. Since I started using 22 for a few weeks now, it has happened
~3/4 times.

    >> When I relaunched emacs and open tex files, I get this message and I am
    >> not able to load tex-mode
    >>
    >> File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "tex")

     > It seems you are trying to use AUCTeX.  Is it installed?  How are you

It is installed. Like I said, everything worked all  right until emacs crashed.
And tex mode wouldn't work when I re-launch.

Thanks.

* Re: Tex mode
       [not found] ` <mailman.2502.1167410938.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-29 16:57   ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-12-29 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

* bgm-rao@ieee.org (2006-12-29) writes:

>     >> I am running emacs 22. It crashed while I was a editing a Latex file.
>
>      > What does that mean, it crashed?  Did it die or did it hang?  Do you
>      > have a backtrace?  Does this happen regularly?
>
> It died. Since I started using 22 for a few weeks now, it has happened
> ~3/4 times.

Not good.  Could you perhaps run it under gdb, get a backtrace once it
crashes again and send it to emacs-pretest-bug by using `M-x
report-emacs-bug RET'?  There are some hints on debugging in the file
etc/DEBUG to be found in the Emacs sources.

>     >> When I relaunched emacs and open tex files, I get this message and I am
>     >> not able to load tex-mode
>     >>
>     >> File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "tex")
>
>      > It seems you are trying to use AUCTeX.  Is it installed?  How are you
>
> It is installed. Like I said, everything worked all  right until emacs crashed.
> And tex mode wouldn't work when I re-launch.

I doubt the crash is related to Emacs not finding AUCTeX libraries.
How did you install AUCTeX and (let me ask this again) how are you
activating or loading it?  Which version of AUCTeX are we talking
about?

--
Ralf