From: Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net>
Subject: Re: Tex mode
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:57:30 +0100	[thread overview]

* bgm-rao@ieee.org (2006-12-29) writes:

>     >> I am running emacs 22. It crashed while I was a editing a Latex file.
>
>      > What does that mean, it crashed?  Did it die or did it hang?  Do you
>      > have a backtrace?  Does this happen regularly?
>
> It died. Since I started using 22 for a few weeks now, it has happened
> ~3/4 times.

Not good.  Could you perhaps run it under gdb, get a backtrace once it
crashes again and send it to emacs-pretest-bug by using `M-x
report-emacs-bug RET'?  There are some hints on debugging in the file
etc/DEBUG to be found in the Emacs sources.

>     >> When I relaunched emacs and open tex files, I get this message and I am
>     >> not able to load tex-mode
>     >>
>     >> File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "tex")
>
>      > It seems you are trying to use AUCTeX.  Is it installed?  How are you
>
> It is installed. Like I said, everything worked all  right until emacs crashed.
> And tex mode wouldn't work when I re-launch.

I doubt the crash is related to Emacs not finding AUCTeX libraries.
How did you install AUCTeX and (let me ask this again) how are you
activating or loading it?  Which version of AUCTeX are we talking
about?

--
Ralf