* hide comments using preview-latex
@ 2006-12-17 17:02 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2006-12-17 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am using preview-latex (auctex version 11.83) with an
'old' emacs 21.3.1 on a scientific linux (redhat clone). It
works pretty nice, but I wonder, if there is a setting to
translate commented lines to an e.g. empty image!? Maybe, it
is even possible to 'hide'/translate them independent of the
actual document. Right now, I use a small function which
hides these lines, but they are not 'folded' and auctex
folding mode does not have a special 'comment' option.
Does there exist such a nice function/option in
preview-latex? Would be nice!

Greetings!
 Fabian

* Re: hide comments using preview-latex
@ 2006-12-18  0:37 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-12-18  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using preview-latex (auctex version 11.83) with an
> 'old' emacs 21.3.1 on a scientific linux (redhat clone). It
> works pretty nice, but I wonder, if there is a setting to
> translate commented lines to an e.g. empty image!? Maybe, it
> is even possible to 'hide'/translate them independent of the
> actual document. Right now, I use a small function which
> hides these lines, but they are not 'folded' and auctex
> folding mode does not have a special 'comment' option.
> Does there exist such a nice function/option in
> preview-latex? Would be nice!

That would be an awful lot of comments!  Anyway, preview-latex hides
LaTeX constructs, attaching itself to macros, and comments are not
actual LaTeX constructs.  So if at all, one would need to convince
syntax highlighting and/or TeX-fold-mode to cater for folding
comments.

* Re: hide comments using preview-latex
@ 2006-12-18 21:58   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2006-12-18 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

* David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using preview-latex (auctex version 11.83) with an
>> 'old' emacs 21.3.1 on a scientific linux (redhat clone). It
>> works pretty nice, but I wonder, if there is a setting to
>> translate commented lines to an e.g. empty image!? Maybe, it
>> is even possible to 'hide'/translate them independent of the
>> actual document. Right now, I use a small function which
>> hides these lines, but they are not 'folded' and auctex
>> folding mode does not have a special 'comment' option.
>> Does there exist such a nice function/option in
>> preview-latex? Would be nice!
>
> That would be an awful lot of comments!  Anyway, preview-latex hides
> LaTeX constructs, attaching itself to macros, and comments are not
> actual LaTeX constructs.  So if at all, one would need to convince
> syntax highlighting and/or TeX-fold-mode to cater for folding
> comments.

Actually I have to many comments in most of my latex files
until I get close to the end ... it is a kind of collecting
ideas, but maybe I should change my working habit, if
'preview' is not able to handle it. I will take a look at
the other methods to hide the comments, thanks!

@ 2006-12-29 13:45     ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-12-29 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Fabian Braennstroem (2006-12-18) writes:

> Actually I have to many comments in most of my latex files
> until I get close to the end ... it is a kind of collecting
> ideas, but maybe I should change my working habit, if
> 'preview' is not able to handle it. I will take a look at
> the other methods to hide the comments, thanks!

I've just implemented folding of comments in AUCTeX's folding mode.
You can grab the source from CVS and check it out.  You'll have to
customize `TeX-fold-type-list' in order to activate folding of
comments.  It's not on by default.

--
Ralf