* emacs cannot read accent properly in a path
@ 2006-12-23 10:41 PG
From: PG @ 2006-12-23 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am newby in the matter. I want to share a FAT32 hard disk using both
Windows XP and GNU Linux Ubuntu 6.10. The ubuntu terminal (utf-8) work OK
and MS DOS paths (even with blanks in the name and accents) are well read.
Eg:

/users/Documents and Settings/giraudoux/Mes documents/Thèse
Robardet/Analyses 0611$

However when I wanted to read the same path from e-macs (eg to import a file
C-x C-f), I get this:

/users/Documents and Settings/giraudoux/Mes documents/ThA"se
Robardet/Analyses 0611$

(actually a sign ~ is above the A), and of course, files cannot be read.

I have tried to manage to get emacs reading such a path including accents
correctly with those commands into .emacs

(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-language-environment 'utf-8)

This works well when using auto-completion in the minibuffer from the home
(eg ~/ emacs and then C-x C-f and using autocompletion along the path)

However, when I launch e-macs from within the final directory

/users/Documents and Settings/giraudoux/Mes documents/Thèse
Robardet/Analyses 0611$ emacs

The minibuffer does not manage again with accent...

Thanks in advance for any hint

Patrick

* Re: emacs cannot read accent properly in a path
@ 2006-12-23 14:09 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-23 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.12.2006 um 11:41 schrieb PG:

> Thanks in advance for any hint

You could set environment variables LC_CTYPE or LANG to fr_FR.UTF-8
or such.

You can set in .emacs:

(prefer-coding-system                   'utf-8)
(set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
(setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Real Time, adj.:
Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.

* Re: emacs cannot read accent properly in a path
@ 2006-12-23 14:40   ` PG
From: PG @ 2006-12-23 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Ubuntu bash is set to UTF-8 (and thus usually reads the accents in
directory and file names)

I have just tried to modify .emacs following instructions and also modifying
.bash_profile with LANG= fr_FR.UTF-8  but it does not helped...

Still does no read the accent in the path when emacs is launched from within
the directory

@ 2006-12-23 15:46     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-23 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.12.2006 um 15:40 schrieb PG:

> .bash_profile with LANG= fr_FR.UTF-8  but it does not helped...

	export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8

would be correct syntax, if your system would know about
"fr_FR.UTF-8" as a locale. You should consult you system with locale
(man locale for some details)

And if this fails, then check whether you set-language-environment –
if you do, comment it!

Do the Elisp statements change the behaviour? Are the DOS or Windows
file name "exported" and "imported" in the right encoding? When the
file names are in DOS or Windows in some Code Page, then you can't
mount them in Linux as UTF-8 ... (although the excerpt ``A"´´ for è
makes one believe, but è is in UTF-8 C3 A8, i.e. è)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue

* Re: emacs cannot read accent properly in a path
@ 2006-12-23 15:48     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-23 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.12.2006 um 15:40 schrieb PG:

>  modifying .bash_profile

  ... would only work in a login shell! The file ~/.bashrc is better
suited: it's always used, sourced, included ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Windows, c'est un peu comme le beaujolais nouveau: à chaque nouvelle
cuvée on sait que ce sera dégueulasse, mais on en prend quand même,
par masochisme.

* Re: emacs cannot read accent properly in a path
@ 2006-12-23 16:19       ` Patrick Giraudoux
From: Patrick Giraudoux @ 2006-12-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs, PG

> would be correct syntax, if your system would know about "fr_FR.UTF-8"
> as a locale. You should consult you system with locale (man locale for
> some details)

tried it locale -a and fr_FR.UTF-8 is in the list.

Tried to set
export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
 into ~/.bashrc

Did not work

> And if this fails, then check whether you set-language-environment –
> if you do, comment it!
I did it through the menu Options > Mule > Set Language Environment
setting up UTF-8 as well as > European > French.

No result.

> Do the Elisp statements change the behaviour? Are the DOS or Windows
> file name "exported" and "imported" in the right encoding? When the
> file names are in DOS or Windows in some Code Page, then you can't
> mount them in Linux as UTF-8 ... (although the excerpt ``A"´´ for è
> makes one believe, but è is in UTF-8 C3 A8, i.e. è)
Actually the bash reads DOS encoding well including the accents, and
even emacs autocompletion is correct in the mini-buffer if emacs is
started from ~/. The è unstead è just come when starting emacs within a
directory which includes letter accents in the path... Very strange.

Anyway, many thanks for your help,

Patrick

@ 2006-12-23 17:17         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-23 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs, PG

Am 23.12.2006 um 17:19 schrieb Patrick Giraudoux:

> I did it through the menu Options > Mule > Set Language Environment
> setting up UTF-8 as well as > European > French.

That's wrong! This puts you into a 7 bit world.

How is GNU Emacs' file name completion working? Can you make the ls
command in dired use switches to display UTF-8 characters (gls --
dired ...)?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week." – Evan
Esar

* Re: emacs cannot read accent properly in a path
@ 2006-12-23 19:11           ` Patrick Giraudoux
From: Patrick Giraudoux @ 2006-12-23 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs, PG

> How is GNU Emacs' file name completion working? Can you make the ls
> command in dired use switches to display UTF-8 characters (gls --dired
> ...)?
Yes no problem, see below:

ls /users/Documents\ and\ Settings/giraudoux/Mes\ documents/Thèse\ Robardet/
Analyses 0509  Analyses 0608  projet thèse ER janv2005.doc
Analyses 0606  Analyses 0611

 ls --dired /users/Documents\ and\ Settings/giraudoux/Mes\
documents/Thèse\ Robardet/
Analyses 0509  Analyses 0608  projet thèse ER janv2005.doc
Analyses 0606  Analyses 0611

Even when emacs is launched from ~/ emacs the completion after C-x C-f
is working  well with accents. The only trouble comes when emacs is
launched from within a directory whose path has an accent in one of the
names, eg:

/users/Documents\ and\ Settings/giraudoux/Mes\ documents/Thèse\
Robardet/emacs

Then, within emacs, the path given after C-x C-f  does not read accents
properly in the path provided in the mini-buffer..

Quite strange?

Patrick

@ 2006-12-23 20:05             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-23 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs, PG

Am 23.12.2006 um 20:11 schrieb Patrick Giraudoux:

> Even when emacs is launched from ~/ emacs the completion after C-x
> C-f is working  well with accents. The only trouble comes when
> emacs is launched from within a directory whose path has an accent
> in one of the names, eg:
>
> /users/Documents\ and\ Settings/giraudoux/Mes\ documents/Thèse\
> Robardet/emacs
>
> Then, within emacs, the path given after C-x C-f  does not read
> accents properly in the path provided in the mini-buffer..
>
> Quite strange?

Yes. You should report it. (In Help menu you'll find Report Emacs
Bug...)

Besides, there are problems with some characters that are neither in
mode-line nor in *Buffer Menu* nor in *Buffer List* correctly
displayed or presented. At least I can open the files or follow into
the sub-directory.

Here, on Mac OS X, I can't reproduce it. And I don't have a version
21 by hand. GNU Emacs 22.0.92 has a problem finding $PWD: the *shell*
buffer was rooted in / ...

--
Greetings

   Pete