* .doc files in emacs
@ 2006-12-15 20:31 Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2006-12-15 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi
I received a .dco file today and googled to find if I can open it in
emacs.
could not find an answer so I am asking here.
can a microsoft .doc file be viewed/edited/converted/whatever by
emacs?
if not, how do you people handle this file?

thanks

* Re: .doc files in emacs
@ 2006-12-15 20:46 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-15 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Gary Wessle (2006-12-16 07:31 +1100) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^
> could not find an answer so I am asking here.
> can a microsoft .doc file be viewed/edited/converted/whatever by
> emacs?

There are a bunch of apps to extract the text part of .doc files:

  catdoc => http://directory.fsf.org/catdoc.html
  antiword => http://www.winfield.demon.nl/

* Re: .doc files in emacs
@ 2006-12-16  1:02 ` Tim X
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1969.1166264692.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2006-12-16  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi
> I received a .dco file today and googled to find if I can open it in
> emacs.
> could not find an answer so I am asking here.
> can a microsoft .doc file be viewed/edited/converted/whatever by
> emacs?
> if not, how do you people handle this file?

I posted a utility called txutils.el to g.e.sources a couple of weeks
back. This utility converts various file formats to text or html using
external utilities such as wv. The utility "advises" the view-file
function so that conversion is done automatically when you select a
file to view with a known extension. Currently, it will convert *.doc,
*.ppt, *.xls, *.ps and *.pdf. The utility has a "customize"
configuration that makes it quite easy to extend conversion for other
types.

Let me know i you want a copy. However, note that it is pretty much my
first elisp utility I've let out into the wild - I think the elisp is
OK, but not great and probably could be greatly improved by a more
experienced elisper.

--
tcross (at) une dot edu dot au

* Re: .doc files in emacs
@ 2006-12-16  2:21 ` Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2006-12-16  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:

> can a microsoft .doc file be viewed/edited/converted/whatever by
> emacs?  if not, how do you people handle this file?

As others on this thread have pointed out, there are various utilities
that will convert a .doc file to a text file.  However, Word itself
will do that for you (File -> Save as -> Text).  Such a file can of
course be edited in Emacs, and that is useful as far as it goes.

But AFAIK there is no way to edit a .doc file in Emacs in such a way
that it remains a .doc file usable in Word.  I have tried it, and
often it has seemed to work for minor changes, but I gave up after
other users found that it corrupted the file in obscure ways.  I dare
say that Microsoft would be horrified at the thought, but such a
routine would improve my quality of life, as I am often called on to
edit .doc files, and do not enjoy doing so in Word.

Is a Word-to-TeX conversion program conceivable?
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  Happiness is no more than good health and a bad memory.  :||

* Re: .doc files in emacs
@ 2006-12-16  2:51   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-16  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Fineman wrote:
> Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>> can a microsoft .doc file be viewed/edited/converted/whatever by
>> emacs?  if not, how do you people handle this file?
>>

> As others on this thread have pointed out, there are various utilities
> that will convert a .doc file to a text file.  However, Word itself
> will do that for you (File -> Save as -> Text).  Such a file can of
> course be edited in Emacs, and that is useful as far as it goes.
>
> But AFAIK there is no way to edit a .doc file in Emacs in such a way
> that it remains a .doc file usable in Word.  I have tried it, and
> often it has seemed to work for minor changes, but I gave up after
> other users found that it corrupted the file in obscure ways.  I dare
> say that Microsoft would be horrified at the thought, but such a
> routine would improve my quality of life, as I am often called on to
> edit .doc files, and do not enjoy doing so in Word.
>
> Is a Word-to-TeX conversion program conceivable?

Why not use OpenOffice.org? It can convert the .doc file to its xml
format if I understand things correctly.

* Re: .doc files in emacs
@ 2006-12-16 10:24   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1969.1166264692.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-16 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:02:28 +1100
>
> Let me know i you want a copy. However, note that it is pretty much my
> first elisp utility I've let out into the wild - I think the elisp is
> OK, but not great and probably could be greatly improved by a more
> experienced elisper.

Well, one advice I can give, based on brief reading of the code, is to
keep in txutils-convert-alist only the program names, without the
leading directories (e.g., "pdftotext" instead of "/usr/bin/pdftotext"),
and use executable-find to find the program.

This way, you will DTRT by default for more users on more platforms,
and the only users that will need to customize txutils-convert-alist
are those who install the utilities outside of their PATH.

* Re: .doc files in emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1969.1166264692.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-17  0:34     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-12-17  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Subject: Re: .doc files in emacs
>
>> From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
>> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:02:28 +1100
>>
>> Let me know i you want a copy. However, note that it is pretty much my
>> first elisp utility I've let out into the wild - I think the elisp is
>> OK, but not great and probably could be greatly improved by a more
>> experienced elisper.
>
> Well, one advice I can give, based on brief reading of the code, is to
> keep in txutils-convert-alist only the program names, without the
> leading directories (e.g., "pdftotext" instead of "/usr/bin/pdftotext"),
> and use executable-find to find the program.
>
> This way, you will DTRT by default for more users on more platforms,
> and the only users that will need to customize txutils-convert-alist
> are those who install the utilities outside of their PATH.

Thanks Eli. I wasn't aware of executable-find. I will check it out.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au