* How to delete the path in mini window when finding a file quickly
@ 2006-12-12  0:45 Ronald
From: Ronald @ 2006-12-12  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-x C-f
then I want to delete the path in the mini window,
how to do it quickly?

* Re: How to delete the path in mini window when finding a file quickly
@ 2006-12-12  2:05 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.1778.1165889144.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo @ 2006-12-12  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

                           ^^^^^^

,----[ (info "(emacs)File Names") ]
|    Note that it is legitimate to type an absolute file name after you
| enter the minibuffer, ignoring the presence of the default directory
| name as part of the text.  The final minibuffer contents may look
| invalid, but that is not so.  For example, if the minibuffer starts out
| with `/usr/tmp/' and you add `/x1/rms/foo', you get
| `/usr/tmp//x1/rms/foo'; but Emacs ignores everything through the first
| slash in the double slash; the result is `/x1/rms/foo'.  *Note
| Minibuffer File::.
|
|    You can use `~/' in a file name to mean your home directory, or
| `~USER-ID/' to mean the home directory of a user whose login name is
| `user-id'(1).
|
|    `$' in a file name is used to substitute an environment variable.
| The environment variable name consists of all the alphanumeric
| characters after the `$'; alternatively, it can be enclosed in braces
| after the `$'.  For example, if you have used the shell command `export
| FOO=rms/hacks' to set up an environment variable named `FOO', then you
| can use `/u/$FOO/test.c' or `/u/${FOO}/test.c' as an abbreviation for
| `/u/rms/hacks/test.c'.  If the environment variable is not defined, no
| substitution occurs: `/u/$notdefined' stands for itself (assuming the
| environment variable `notdefined' is not defined).
`----

* good, thanks
       [not found] ` <mailman.1778.1165889144.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-12  3:00   ` Ronald
From: Ronald @ 2006-12-12  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-12-12  9:24 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-12-12  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald <followait@163.com> writes:

> C-x C-f then I want to delete the path in the mini window, how to do
> it quickly?

If you *really* need to clear the minibuffer at that point (in most
cases you don't, as explained by the help for find file), a quick C-a
C-k will do the trick. Just hold down the control key and type a and
k.

* Re: How to delete the path in mini window when finding a file quickly
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-12-12 14:01 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2006-12-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald wrote:
> C-x C-f
> then I want to delete the path in the mini window,
> how to do it quickly?

Don't.  emacs is smart.  Just Type a / and emacs will ignore what comes
before and start at the root.  Or type a ~ and emacs will start at the
home directory.