* cannot install emacs on a laptop
@ 2006-10-29 17:37 Christian Pirschalawa
From: Christian Pirschalawa @ 2006-10-29 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to install emacs on my laptop, but the configure script doesn't run proberly. It does not find gcc or cc and shows the error "No acceptable cc found in $PATH". I tried it under SUSE and ubuntu, it's the same.

I'm a Linux beginner, therefore I have no clue what this error message means.

* Re: cannot install emacs on a laptop
       [not found] <mailman.394.1162143513.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-29 17:44 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2006-10-29 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Christian Pirschalawa" <c.pirschalawa@gmx.de> writes:
> I tried to install emacs on my laptop, but the configure script doesn't run
> proberly. It does not find gcc or cc and shows the error "No acceptable cc
> found in $PATH". I tried it under SUSE and ubuntu, it's the same.
>
> I'm a Linux beginner, therefore I have no clue what this error message means.

If you try to install emacs from the sources, you need a C compiler,
such as gcc, to compile it.

You have two choices:

- try to install a binary package for emacs.

- install the gcc C compiler, and try to compile again emacs from the sources.

I need a new toy.
Tail of black dog keeps good time.
Pounce! Good dog! Good dog!

* Re: cannot install emacs on a laptop
@ 2006-10-29 17:46 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.395.1162144217.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2006-10-29 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29/10/06, Christian Pirschalawa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install emacs on my laptop, but the configure script doesn't run
> proberly. It does not find gcc or cc and shows the error "No acceptable cc
> found in $PATH". I tried it under SUSE and ubuntu, it's the same.
>
> I'm a Linux beginner, therefore I have no clue what this error message means.

You need a c compiler.

In SuSE, fire up yast and install `gcc'
In ubuntu, apt-get install gcc

--
Leo

* Re: cannot install emacs on a laptop
@ 2006-10-29 18:26   ` Pierre Lorenzon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.427.1162197539.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2006-10-29 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: cannot install emacs on a laptop
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:46:17 +0000

> On Sun, 29/10/06, Christian Pirschalawa wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to install emacs on my laptop, but the configure script doesn't run
> > proberly. It does not find gcc or cc and shows the error "No acceptable cc
> > found in $PATH". I tried it under SUSE and ubuntu, it's the same.
  Yes but do you really need to compile emacs or can't you
  simply install an already compiled package ?

> > I'm a Linux beginner, therefore I have no clue what this error message means.
  That's why I feel allowed to ask the question !

> You need a c compiler.
  If you definitely want to recompile emacs but is it really what you want ?

> In SuSE, fire up yast and install `gcc'
  Or simply emacs !
> In ubuntu, apt-get install gcc
  Idem !

  Pierre

@ 2006-10-29 20:30   ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2006-10-29 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo wrote:
> On Sun, 29/10/06, Christian Pirschalawa wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to install emacs on my laptop, but the configure script doesn't run
>> proberly. It does not find gcc or cc and shows the error "No acceptable cc
>> found in $PATH". I tried it under SUSE and ubuntu, it's the same.
>>
>> I'm a Linux beginner, therefore I have no clue what this error message means.
>>

> You need a c compiler.
>
> In SuSE, fire up yast and install `gcc'
> In ubuntu, apt-get install gcc

You also will need some other packages including xlib-dev

If configure complains that it cant' find some package,
you need to install the -dev version of it from apt or yum.

Debian's package of Emacs 21 has these run-time dependancies.

libc6, libice6, libjpeg62, libncurses5, libpng12-0, libsm6, libtiff4, libungif4g,
libx11-6, libxext6, libxmu6, libxpm4, libxt6, xaw3dg, zlib1g

I'm not sure what the related development packages are.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

@ 2006-10-30  1:13 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-10-30  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

As if you haven't already gotten a lot of confusing advice:

On Debian (and similar systems like ubuntu) I'd do "apt-get build-dep
emacs21" in addition to gcc.
--
A special circle of hell should be reserved for video
executives who place previews at the beginnings of DVDs.

* Re: cannot install emacs on a laptop
@ 2006-10-30  8:37   ` Christian Pirschalawa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.427.1162197539.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Christian Pirschalawa @ 2006-10-30  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sun, 29/10/06, Christian Pirschalawa wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to install emacs on my laptop, but the configure script doesn't
>> run
>> proberly. It does not find gcc or cc and shows the error "No acceptable
>> cc
>> found in $PATH". I tried it under SUSE and ubuntu, it's the same.
>>
>> I'm a Linux beginner, therefore I have no clue what this error message
>> means.
>>

> You need a c compiler.
>
> In SuSE, fire up yast and install `gcc'
> In ubuntu, apt-get install gcc
>
> --
> Leo

Hi,

apt-get sais that "the gcc package is not available, but is referred to by
another package. This may mean hat the package is missing, has been
obsoleted, or is only available from another source. E: Package gcc has no
installation candidate." I checked the Synaptic Package Manager: The gcc
package is already installed.

Chris

@ 2006-10-30 17:47     ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2006-10-30 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

+ "Christian Pirschalawa" <c.pirschalawa@gmx.de>:

| apt-get sais that "the gcc package is not available, but is referred
| to by another package. This may mean hat the package is missing, has
| been obsoleted, or is only available from another source. E: Package
| gcc has no installation candidate." I checked the Synaptic Package
| Manager: The gcc package is already installed.

So this is not an emacs question anymore; it's a linux question, or an
apt-get question, or a question for the particular kind of linux that
you're running.  But not an emacs question.  So you are more likely to
get an answer in a different forum.

  -- Bertrand Russell