* dired strange output
@ 2006-10-23 15:59 Gary Wessle
       [not found] ` <mailman.163.1161622457.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gary Wessle @ 2006-10-23 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I noticed a line in my dired that looks like this
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 fred fred      42 Oct 24 01:05 .#myfile.cpp -> fred@localhost.localdomain.3415:1161501575

what does it mean to have a symlink to
"fred@localhost.localdomain.3415:1161501575"?

the shell output in xterm does not show it at all.

thanks

* Re: dired strange output
@ 2006-10-23 16:54 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.163.1161622457.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-10-23 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.10.2006 um 17:59 schrieb Gary Wessle:

> what does it mean to have a symlink to
> "fred@localhost.localdomain.3415:1161501575"?

You're editing a file, and this file is changed right now.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Globalisation -- communism from above.

* Re: dired strange output
       [not found] ` <mailman.163.1161622457.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-23 18:41   ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2006-10-23 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 23.10.2006 um 17:59 schrieb Gary Wessle:
>
>> what does it mean to have a symlink to
>> "fred@localhost.localdomain.3415:1161501575"?
>
> You're editing a file, and this file is changed right now.

In fact you're editing it on a machine called "localhost.localdomain",
with process ID 3415, the editing started 1161501575 seconds since the Epoch,
(Sun Oct 22 08:19:35 BST 2006), and your user name is "fred".

Or, if the file is on a shared directory, "fred" is.

csmiller@localhost:/home/csmiller$ date -d "1 jan 1970 gmt 1161501575 seconds"
Sun Oct 22 08:19:35 BST 2006

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: dired strange output
@ 2006-10-23 19:52   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-10-23 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:54:07 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Am 23.10.2006 um 17:59 schrieb Gary Wessle:
>
> > what does it mean to have a symlink to
> > "fred@localhost.localdomain.3415:1161501575"?
>
> You're editing a file, and this file is changed right now.

Yup.  Read all about that in the Emacs manual, in the node
"Interlocking", and in the ELisp manual, node "File Locks".