* tool bar: How to get _no_ tooltip?
@ 2006-01-21 16:23 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-21 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

M-: (tool-bar-local-item "exit" nil nil tool-bar-map) RET
adds a new icon to the tool bar.  When moving the mouse over the icon,
a tooltip with the text "nil" is displayed.

With `M-: (tool-bar-local-item "exit" nil nil tool-bar-map :help "")
RET', I get very small tooltip with no text.

How to disable the tooltip completely?  (The icon I want to use is a
separator icon without any associated command.)

The code above is for Emacs 22.  In Emacs 21 you need to use
(tool-bar-add-item "exit" nil nil) and (tool-bar-add-item "exit" nil
nil :help "").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: tool bar: How to get _no_ tooltip?
       [not found] <mailman.2050.1137861629.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-21 17:04 ` Ralf Angeli
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2080.1137890280.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-01-21 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib (2006-01-21) writes:

> M-: (tool-bar-local-item "exit" nil nil tool-bar-map) RET
> adds a new icon to the tool bar.  When moving the mouse over the icon,
> a tooltip with the text "nil" is displayed.

That looks like a bug.

> With `M-: (tool-bar-local-item "exit" nil nil tool-bar-map :help "")
> RET', I get very small tooltip with no text.
>
> How to disable the tooltip completely?  (The icon I want to use is a
> separator icon without any associated command.)

The separator should not be clickable anyway, so how about the
following?  (That's how Miguel did it in AUCTeX.)

(tool-bar-local-item "exit" nil nil tool-bar-map :enable nil)

Disadvantage is that the image will become shaded.

--
Ralf

* Re: tool bar: How to get _no_ tooltip?
@ 2006-01-21 22:33   ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2080.1137890280.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-21 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 21 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> * Reiner Steib (2006-01-21) writes:
>> When moving the mouse over the icon, a tooltip with the text "nil"
>> is displayed.
>
> That looks like a bug.

Okay.  I'll file a bug report unless someone explains how to do it
properly.

>> How to disable the tooltip completely?  (The icon I want to use is a
>> separator icon without any associated command.)
>
> The separator should not be clickable anyway, so how about the
> following?  (That's how Miguel did it in AUCTeX.)

*blush* ... Why didn't it occur to me to check if AUCTeX' separator
icon has the same problem?

> (tool-bar-local-item "exit" nil nil tool-bar-map :enable nil)
> Disadvantage is that the image will become shaded.

That's good enough for me: I only want to separate standard icons
(undo, cut, paste, ...) from message mode specific buttons in Gnus'
message-mode.  I only used exit.xpm in my example on the list because
it comes with Emacs; for the real code I use AUCTeX' sep.xpm.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2006-01-22 11:31     ` Ralf Angeli
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2363.1138116698.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-01-22 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib (2006-01-21) writes:

> On Sat, Jan 21 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> (tool-bar-local-item "exit" nil nil tool-bar-map :enable nil)
>> Disadvantage is that the image will become shaded.
>
> That's good enough for me: I only want to separate standard icons
> (undo, cut, paste, ...) from message mode specific buttons in Gnus'
> message-mode.  I only used exit.xpm in my example on the list because
> it comes with Emacs; for the real code I use AUCTeX' sep.xpm.

Using a disabled button still is a workaround.  Most of the toolkits
supporting tool bars will likely have native separators.  GTK+
e.g. has `GtkSeparatorToolItem', see
<URL:http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkSeparatorToolItem.html>.
It would be nice to have access to those from Emacs Lisp when building
a tool bar.

--
Ralf

* Re: tool bar: How to get _no_ tooltip?
@ 2006-01-24 14:49       ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2363.1138116698.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-24 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 22 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> * Reiner Steib (2006-01-21) writes:
[...]
>> That's good enough for me: I only want to separate standard icons
>> (undo, cut, paste, ...) from message mode specific buttons in Gnus'
>> message-mode.  I only used exit.xpm in my example on the list because
>> it comes with Emacs; for the real code I use AUCTeX' sep.xpm.
>
> Using a disabled button still is a workaround.

ACK

> Most of the toolkits supporting tool bars will likely have native
> separators.  GTK+ e.g. has `GtkSeparatorToolItem', see
> <URL:http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkSeparatorToolItem.html>.
> It would be nice to have access to those from Emacs Lisp when
> building a tool bar.

Will you submit the bug report? ;-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2006-01-24 16:48         ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-01-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib (2006-01-24) writes:

> On Sun, Jan 22 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> Most of the toolkits supporting tool bars will likely have native
>> separators.  GTK+ e.g. has `GtkSeparatorToolItem', see
>> <URL:http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkSeparatorToolItem.html>.
>> It would be nice to have access to those from Emacs Lisp when
>> building a tool bar.
>
> Will you submit the bug report? ;-)

As this is a feature request we should wait for after the release. qc:

And I seem to remember that this was discussed on emacs-devel or
emacs-pretest-bug before, but cannot find a related message now.

--
Ralf