* How to set umask, owner, and group for newly created file under Win2K?
@ 2003-12-21  7:43 Subhashis Mohanty
From: Subhashis Mohanty @ 2003-12-21  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

This question must have been asked many times, and truth be told, a search
of the web via Google and Emacs archives at gnu.org does find some hits,
but none answers the question how to set umask, owner and group for newly
created files in Emacs under Win2K.

. emacs-20.7
. Win2K SP4
. Open new file via C-x C-f
. Save file via C-x C-s

If I create a new file through another means (vi under cygwin bash), the
file perms, user, and group are as they should be (honouring the umask),
but under emacs the file perms are wrong, turning the execute bit on for
the user, and changing the username to Administrator.

There are no deviations from expected umask, username, and group in
emacs-21.2.1 under Linux 2.4.20-20.9smp.

Any help from the gurus?

Thanks

- Subhashis Mohanty

* Re: How to set umask, owner, and group for newly created file  under Win2K?
       [not found] <6.0.0.22.0.20031220232158.0368c790@localhost:7014>
@ 2003-12-21  8:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-21  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:43:29 -0800
> From: Subhashis Mohanty <smohanty@mohanty.com>
>
> . emacs-20.7
> . Win2K SP4
> . Open new file via C-x C-f
> . Save file via C-x C-s
>
> If I create a new file through another means (vi under cygwin bash), the
> file perms, user, and group are as they should be (honouring the umask),
> but under emacs the file perms are wrong, turning the execute bit on for
> the user, and changing the username to Administrator.

I'm guessing that your Emacs is not a Cygwin application.  Native
Windows applications cannot change Unix-style user/group/world access
bits, since Windows doesn't support them.  Cygwin applications provide
emulations of that support using available Windows access rights
machinery.

as a Cygwin program.  You could work around this by invoking Cygwin
ports of chown/chmod from Emacs.

Perhaps you should tell why do you need this on Windows.  Then maybe
someone could help you solve your specific problem(s).

* Re: How to set umask, owner, and group for newly created file  under Win2K?
@ 2003-12-21  9:47   ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2003-12-21  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: How to set umask, owner, and group for newly created file under Win2K?
       [not found] <mailman.421.1071996488.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-21 11:11 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-21 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subhashis Mohanty <smohanty@mohanty.com> writes:

> This question must have been asked many times, and truth be told, a
> search of the web via Google and Emacs archives at gnu.org does find
> some hits, but none answers the question how to set umask, owner and
> group for newly created files in Emacs under Win2K.

I don't know anything about Windows, but I guess that the standard
Emacs function for determining the "umask" at least is
set-default-file-modes.

The owner is always the user you logged in as.

Don't know the group.

What do you want to do?

Kai

@ 2003-12-21 12:55 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-12-21 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subhashis Mohanty <smohanty@mohanty.com> writes:

> This question must have been asked many times, and truth be told, a
> search of the web via Google and Emacs archives at gnu.org does find
> some hits, but none answers the question how to set umask, owner and
> group for newly created files in Emacs under Win2K.

Windows 2000 does not have a concept of umask and group. When you
create files with Cygwin tools, other Cygwin tools are able to see an
emulated umask and group, but unless you are using the Cygwin version
of Emacs, it will not be visible to Emacs.