* bs-dont-show-regexp being ignored
@ 2005-10-21 15:36 Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-10-21 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello everyone,

i am using the bs- commands for buffer navigation. it has been a
revolution to my daily work. this is my current set-up:

  (setq bs-default-sort-name "by name")
  (setq bs-dont-show-regexp "_region\\.tex_")
  (setq bs-must-always-show-regexp "\\*scratch\\*\\|\\*Python\\*")
  (global-set-key [(control b)] 'bs-show)
  (global-set-key [(control x) (left)] 'bs-cycle-previous)
  (global-set-key [(control x) (right)] 'bs-cycle-next)
  (global-set-key [(control x) (control b)] 'electric-buffer-list)

however... the dont-show regexp is being ignored! i have tried setting
it to many other different file names/regexps, but i can't get it to
work for anything. is it broken? am i setting it incorrectly? is it
working for anyone else?

* Re: bs-dont-show-regexp being ignored
@ 2005-10-21 15:43 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-10-21 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Shug Boabby (2005-10-21) writes:

>   (setq bs-dont-show-regexp "_region\\.tex_")
[...]
> however... the dont-show regexp is being ignored! i have tried setting
> it to many other different file names/regexps, but i can't get it to
> work for anything. is it broken? am i setting it incorrectly? is it
> working for anyone else?

You probably meant "_region_\\.tex" instead of "_region\\.tex_".

--
Ralf

* Re: bs-dont-show-regexp being ignored
@ 2005-10-21 15:47   ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-10-21 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

yes, sorry. that was a typo when transferring to the newsgroup... my
~/.emacs is correct :-). i can't get the dont-show regexp stuff to work
for anything at all.

* Re: bs-dont-show-regexp being ignored
@ 2005-10-21 16:12     ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-10-21 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Shug Boabby (2005-10-21) writes:

> i can't get the dont-show regexp stuff to work
> for anything at all.

According to the documentation of bs.el you are not supposed to change
`bs-dont-show-regexp' directly anyway, but `bs-configurations'.

--
Ralf

* Re: bs-dont-show-regexp being ignored
@ 2005-10-21 16:18       ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-10-21 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

really? where does it say that? in the .el file itself, it says to set
it using setq. there are even a few examples; which are pointless as
the default is to ignore such files.

* Re: bs-dont-show-regexp being ignored
@ 2005-10-21 16:34         ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-10-21 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Shug Boabby (2005-10-21) writes:

> really? where does it say that? in the .el file itself, it says to set
> it using setq. there are even a few examples; which are pointless as
> the default is to ignore such files.

The Elisp file currently in Emacs' CVS includes this statement
regarding customization of the buffer list:

;;; Customization:

;; There is a customization group called `bs' in group `convenience'.
;; Start customization by M-x bs-customize
;;
;; Buffer list
;; -----------
;; You can define your own configurations by extending variable
;; `bs-configurations' (see docstring for details).
;;
;; `bs-default-configuration' contains the name of default configuration.
;; The default value is "files" which means to show only files.
;;
;; If you always want to see all buffers, customize variable
;; `bs-default-configuration' in customization group `bs'.

It doesn't mention `bs-dont-show-regexp'.  The variable is defined
with defvar, not defcustom and there is no * at the start of the doc
string indicating that it should be changed by a user.

BTW, please learn how to quote context from messages you are answering
to correctly.  That way it is easier to see what you are referring to.

--
Ralf

* Re: bs-dont-show-regexp being ignored
@ 2005-10-21 17:14           ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-10-21 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It doesn't mention `bs-dont-show-regexp'.  The variable is defined
> with defvar, not defcustom and there is no * at the start of the doc
> string indicating that it should be changed by a user.

hmm, i never would have known to look for that subtle point as i don't
know that much lisp. it seems really weird that there should be a user
editable variable for showing files, but not one for hiding files!

> BTW, please learn how to quote context from messages you are
> answering to correctly.

yeah sorry about that... i'm using google groups and it doesn't have
very good "quote original  message" functionality. unless they've added
it somewhere since i last looked in the config.

* Re: bs-dont-show-regexp being ignored
@ 2005-10-21 17:46             ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-10-21 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Shug Boabby (2005-10-21) writes:

> hmm, i never would have known to look for that subtle point as i don't
> know that much lisp. it seems really weird that there should be a user
> editable variable for showing files, but not one for hiding files!

There is.  `bs-configurations', as the documentation suggests.

--
Ralf

* Re: bs-dont-show-regexp being ignored
@ 2005-10-23 21:52               ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-10-23 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

and for anyone who cares to see the conclusion of this thread:

(add-to-list 'bs-configurations         ; Create a new buffer list
config
             '("shug" "\\*scratch\\*\\|\\*Python\\*" nil ; show scratch
               "_region_\\.tex"         ; don't show _region_.tex files
               bs-visits-non-file       ; only show files
               bs--sort-by-name))       ; sort the buffer list by name
(setq bs-default-configuration "shug")