Hi Drew, thanks for help. I don't yet understand exactly how it works. AFAIU I have to copy parts of the source file of keysee.el and sorie.el into my init.el file in order to install it. But which parts? this I should add: (global-set-key (kbd "S-") 'kc-complete-menu-bar) what is with that? (require 'cl-macs) ;; cl-case, cl-loop (require 'sortie) Does it also belong to the part I have to copy into my init.el file? There is text in between code, and AFAIU text should always have ;; at the beginning, but there are not those ;; so what is the real code? i just started learning emacs, so please forgive my ignorance kind regards Gottfried Am 09.12.22 um 23:24 schrieb Drew Adams: >>> Even better, learn to ask Emacs itself for help. Start with `C-h C-h'. > > Hear! Hear! > >>> Consider installing a package like `which-key', `guide-key' etc... >> >> In emacs there is information about keybindings. >> So I don't understand what would be helpful to >> install packages like `which-key', `guide-key' etc. > > I'll add `keysee.el' to that mix. > > With vanilla Emacs, you're right, you can get info > about a given key binding (`C-h k'). And you can > get info about (most) prefix keys, by hitting the > prefix key and then hitting `C-h' (e.g. `C-h C-h'). > And with recent Emacs releases (or with `help-fns+.el', > from which the vanilla feature was taken), you can > get info about any keymap - all of its key bindings. > > Each of those help outputs is static: you ask for > info about some one thing and you get it. > > The non-vanilla libraries mentioned above go beyond > this by providing _incremental_, on-the-fly info > about the keys that are currently available (e.g. > in the current set of modes), and what each key does. > > For a key sequence that involves one or more prefix > keys (e.g. `C-x' or `C-x 4'), you can type the prefix > key(s) and see the possible completions - e.g. use > `C-x' and see completions $, ', (, ), *, +, -, ., 0 > etc., ;, <, >, C-+, C--, C-0, C-;, C-=, C-@, C-SPC,... > > For a top-level key sequence, i.e., before you hit > any key, some of these libraries show you all possible > keys you can use currently. > > Some of them can include menus & their items as "keys". > > Some of them let you drill down, up, and across, to > explore the entire key-sequence (and menu) forest. > > Some of them let you sort completions (on the fly), to > show locally bound keys first, or prefix keys first, or > keys and their commands ordered by command name, or... > > Some of them let you hit more keys to complete more > (perhaps completely). Others let you type text to > match key or command names, to get the completions. > ___ > > `keysee.el' is here: > > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/KeySee > > The code is here: > > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/keysee.el > > Key See needs also library `sortie.el', which is here: > > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sortie > > The code is here: > > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/sortie.el > ___ > > The first library to provide key completion was > Icicles - a little over 15 years ago! The key > completion of Key See is based on that of Icicles > (without Icicles matching). --