* Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files
@ 2005-04-11 17:18 Madhusudan Singh
From: Madhusudan Singh @ 2005-04-11 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

 Is there an Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files ? One that
works for recent versions of Mathematica ?

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files
@ 2005-04-11 19:53 ` Stephen Harris
From: Stephen Harris @ 2005-04-11 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Madhusudan Singh" <spammers-go-here@spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is there an Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files ? One that
> works for recent versions of Mathematica ?
>
> Thanks.

http://www.itwm.fhg.de/as/asemployees/wichmann/mma.html
mma.el - The Emacs Mode for Mathematica Package Files
It works with GNU Emacs 20.4 or later and XEmacs 20.4 or later. It was

tested on GNU Emacs 20.4, XEmacs 20.4, and XEmacs 21.3.  Feb, 2003

* Re: Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files
@ 2005-04-11 20:01 ` Stephen Harris
From: Stephen Harris @ 2005-04-11 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Madhusudan Singh" <spammers-go-here@spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is there an Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files ? One that
> works for recent versions of Mathematica ?
>
> Thanks.

http://pivarski.watson.org/ Another one I found using google

`mathematica-mode' for emacs
This is an elisp file which gives your emacs a new mode: `mathematica-mode'.
Each buffer in this mode opens a text interface to Mathematica ((c) Wolfram
Research, Inc.).

Type Mathematica code in the buffer, taking advantage of all the emacs
editing commands (the one for stepping across sexps is particularly useful),
and control-j for an evaluation. This is great for writing programs in
Mathematica, since it has all the emacs features (including syntax
coloring!) and doesn't have the anti-features of the Mathematica front-end
(such as moving your text around someplace you don't want it, as you're
typing).

The user interaction is in most respects like a notebook, you can
re-evaluate an expression as often as you wish. (You have to explicitly kill
the old output, if you don't want to see the differences.) Graphics are
displayed in separate windows (a Mathematica text-mode feature).

I wrote this before I knew that `math-mode' exists. It's okay, though, mine
is better.

* Re: Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files
@ 2005-04-11 20:31   ` Madhusudan Singh
From: Madhusudan Singh @ 2005-04-11 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Harris wrote:

> "Madhusudan Singh" <spammers-go-here@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Is there an Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files ? One that
>> works for recent versions of Mathematica ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> http://www.itwm.fhg.de/as/asemployees/wichmann/mma.html
> mma.el - The Emacs Mode for Mathematica Package Files
> It works with GNU Emacs 20.4 or later and XEmacs 20.4 or later. It was
>
> tested on GNU Emacs 20.4, XEmacs 20.4, and XEmacs 21.3.  Feb, 2003

Thanks for your response. This is for Mathematica package files. It does not
say that it would also work for Notebook files. I will look into the other
one ASAP.

* Re: Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files
@ 2005-04-11 21:41 ` Aidan Kehoe
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2005-04-11 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Ar an t-aonú lá déag de mí Aibréan, scríobh Madhusudan Singh:

 >  Is there an Emacs mode for editing Mathematica Notebook files ? One that
 > works for recent versions of Mathematica ?

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4567/ seems to be relevant;
if you could report back whether it works or not, that would be helpful :-)

--
“I, for instance, am gung-ho about open source because my family is being
held hostage in Rob Malda’s basement. But who fact-checks me, or Enderle,