* aspell with different dictionaries
@ 2004-08-16 19:41 Nathan Sidoli
From: Nathan Sidoli @ 2004-08-16 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All --

I would like to set up key bindings to spell check words and regions
in a secondary dictionary and then switch back to the primary
dictionary.

Does anyone have their .emacs file set up to do this.

Thanks,
Nathan

* Re: aspell with different dictionaries
@ 2004-08-16 19:43 ` Björn Lindström
From: Björn Lindström @ 2004-08-16 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

nathan.sidoli@utoronto.ca (Nathan Sidoli) writes:

> I would like to set up key bindings to spell check words and regions
> in a secondary dictionary and then switch back to the primary
> dictionary.

Something like this?

(global-set-key "\C-csb" (lambda () (interactive)
                           (ispell-change-dictionary "british")))
(global-set-key "\C-css" (lambda () (interactive)
                           (ispell-change-dictionary "svenska")))

* Re: aspell with different dictionaries
@ 2004-08-24 21:16   ` Nathan Sidoli
From: Nathan Sidoli @ 2004-08-24 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (global-set-key "\C-csb" (lambda () (interactive)
>                            (ispell-change-dictionary "british")))
> (global-set-key "\C-css" (lambda () (interactive)
>                            (ispell-change-dictionary "svenska")))

Thanks, this is helpful and I will use it for now but ideally I would
like a situation where I chose my dictionary on each spellcheck. For
example, I could use

C-cer

to check a region in English or

C-cdw

to check a work in German, etc. Does anyone out there know some lisp

@ 2004-08-24 23:32     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-08-24 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nathan Sidoli wrote:
 >>(global-set-key "\C-csb" (lambda () (interactive)
 >>                           (ispell-change-dictionary "british")))
 >>(global-set-key "\C-css" (lambda () (interactive)
 >>                           (ispell-change-dictionary "svenska")))
 >
 > Thanks, this is helpful and I will use it for now but ideally I would
 > like a situation where I chose my dictionary on each spellcheck. For
 > example, I could use
 >
 > C-cer
 >
 > to check a region in English or
 >
 > C-cdw
 >
 > to check a work in German, etc. Does anyone out there know some lisp
 > to do this?

Isn't it obvious?

(global-set-key "\C-cer" (lambda () (interactive)
                            (ispell-change-dictionary "english")
                            (ispell-region (region-beginning) (region-end)))

(global-set-key "\C-cdw" (lambda () (interactive)
                            (ispell-change-dictionary "deutsch")
                            (ispell-word)))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: aspell with different dictionaries
@ 2004-08-25 12:25     ` Frederik Fouvry
From: Frederik Fouvry @ 2004-08-25 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

,-- One day, you wrote:

| Thanks, this is helpful and I will use it for now but ideally I would
| like a situation where I chose my dictionary on each spellcheck. For
| example, I could use
|
| C-cer
|
| to check a region in English or
|
| C-cdw
|
| to check a work in German, etc. Does anyone out there know some lisp
| to do this?

Note that ispell may function better than aspell for other language
than English: aspell's suggestion algorithm is developed for English
(only), while ispell's is more general.

Frederik Fouvry

* Re: aspell with different dictionaries
@ 2004-08-27 10:17       ` Kevin Atkinson
From: Kevin Atkinson @ 2004-08-27 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frederik Fouvry <fouvry@coli.uni-saarland.de> wrote in message news:<5foekzxv3y.fsf@cc.at.coli.uni-sb.de>...

> Note that ispell may function better than aspell for other language
> than English: aspell's suggestion algorithm is developed for English
> (only), while ispell's is more general.

Hello, I am the Aspell author.

This statement is false.  Aspell's suggestion algorithm was originally
adopted for English, but it has since been expanded to work well with
other languages.  In fact, with out any additional tuning Aspell will
do a _better_ job than Ispell in all cases.

Have a good day and please stop spreading false information about
Aspell.

* Re: aspell with different dictionaries
@ 2004-08-27 10:46         ` Carsten Weinberg
From: Carsten Weinberg @ 2004-08-27 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

>Hello, I am the Aspell author.
>
>This statement is false.  Aspell's suggestion algorithm was originally
>adopted for English, but it has since been expanded to work well with
>other languages.  In fact, with out any additional tuning Aspell will
>do a _better_ job than Ispell in all cases.
>
>Have a good day and please stop spreading false information about
>Aspell.

Kevin thanks a lot for the great program!

aspell is much better than ispell or anything else!

-CWeinberg