* ftp from Emacs
@ 2002-10-01 20:31 Alex
From: Alex @ 2002-10-01 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All!
I'm trying to ftp from Emacs with ligin name like "user@server.com" and it
looks like agne-ftp is not recognising the login name in this format. Coul
you provide me with the workaround e.g. regexp. ?

Thank You!

* Re: ftp from Emacs
@ 2002-10-02  3:38 ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-10-02  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You are giving the username on the remote machine, the one with the file
on it, right?

Also, I've found it handy to use a ~/.netrc file-- emacs will/should
know about it and use it.  More info at "man netrc".

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Alex at 20:31 (UTC-0000) on Tue, 1 Oct 2002:

= Hi All!
= I'm trying to ftp from Emacs with ligin name like "user@server.com" and it
= looks like agne-ftp is not recognising the login name in this format. Coul
= you provide me with the workaround e.g. regexp. ?
=
= Thank You!
= _______________________________________________
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
=

* Re: ftp from Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1033529885.24462.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-02  4:25 ` Alex
From: Alex @ 2002-10-02  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ken
I actually have this line in .netrc:
machine servername.com login myloginwith@sign password mypassword

but Emacs just picks default username which I run it
under telling me that .netrc "is not owned by you or
badly protected".I swear I gave it full access (777)
and it owned by user which runs Emacs.

When I change ange-ftp-default-user to my login name like:
(custom-declare-variable 'ange-ftp-default-user '"myusernamewith@sign"
'(......

it actually picks it up and asks for a password, connects and then errors
with ange-ftp-error: FTP Error: USER request failed: 500 AUTH not
understood.
Here is ftp buffer log:

ftp> open myserver.com
Connected to myserver.com.
220 ProFTPD FTP Server ready.
user "myname@myserver.com" Turtle Power!
500 AUTH not understood.
500 AUTH not understood.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
ftp> 331 Password required for myname@myserver.com.
230 User myname@myserver.com logged in.
ftp>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@ 2002-10-02 12:20   ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-10-02 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Looking at your output (below), specifically the line:

<snip>
230 User myname@myserver.com logged in.
</snip>

shows that you *are* logged in.  Put the cursor after the "ftp>" prompt
and type "pwd" and it should show you the current directory.  Or do
"stat" and you should get the output for that.  Now do "dir".  Do you
get a listing of the files in that directory?  If you don't, then do
"passive" and try again.  Note that you'll get all this same behaviour
if you ftp in, i.e., not in emacs, but just at the command line.

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Alex at 04:25 (UTC-0000) on Wed, 2 Oct 2002:

= Hi ken
= I actually have this line in .netrc:
= machine servername.com login myloginwith@sign password mypassword
=
=
= but Emacs just picks default username which I run it
= under telling me that .netrc "is not owned by you or
= badly protected".I swear I gave it full access (777)
= and it owned by user which runs Emacs.
=
= When I change ange-ftp-default-user to my login name like:
= (custom-declare-variable 'ange-ftp-default-user '"myusernamewith@sign"
= '(......
=
[...]
= ken wrote:
=
= >

@ 2002-10-02 14:55   ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2002-10-02 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex wrote:
> Hi ken
> I actually have this line in .netrc:
> machine servername.com login myloginwith@sign password mypassword
>

> but Emacs just picks default username which I run it
> under telling me that .netrc "is not owned by you or
> badly protected".I swear I gave it full access (777)
> and it owned by user which runs Emacs.

Programs that read .netrc always check to make sure that
other users don't have read access to .netrc, so that
they won't be able to read your passwords.

You should chmod .netrc to 700,600 or 400.

The exact syntax for opening a remote file is:
/username@server:filename

Hope that helps,
Bijan