* Extending Emacs with C
@ 2003-11-11  6:54 Siegfried Heintze
From: Siegfried Heintze @ 2003-11-11  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just compiled emacs on Win2000 using cl v12 (aka MSVC6). Hurray. Too bad
it it does not link when using the latest Microsoft C compiler (v 13.1).
Good thing I kept v12 around.

Are there any documents that can guide me on extending emacs (elisp) with C?
I want to call some COM objects from elisp.

  Thanks,
    Siegfried

* Re: Extending Emacs with C
@ 2003-11-11 12:06 ` Gareth Rees
From: Gareth Rees @ 2003-11-11 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> Are there any documents that can guide me on extending emacs (elisp)
> with C?  I want to call some COM objects from elisp.

You can't do this in vanilla GNU Emacs, because dynamic extensions
provide a way for people to try to get around the GPL.  See
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-07/msg00425.html

However, if you're happy to recompile Emacs then you can add whatever
functionality you like.  See
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DynamicallyExtendingEmacs

--
Gareth Rees   http://www.garethrees.org/

* Re: Extending Emacs with C
@ 2003-11-11 17:47 ` Khuong D Pham
From: Khuong D Pham @ 2003-11-11 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

How did you compile emacs with msvc6. I have tried it without success
I get this when I run nmake after execute configure.bat:

makefile (25): fatal error U1035: syntax error : expected ':' or '='
separator

"Siegfried Heintze" <siegfried@heintze.com> wrote in message
> I just compiled emacs on Win2000 using cl v12 (aka MSVC6). Hurray. Too bad
> it it does not link when using the latest Microsoft C compiler (v 13.1).
> Good thing I kept v12 around.
>
> Are there any documents that can guide me on extending emacs (elisp) with
C?
> I want to call some COM objects from elisp.
>
>   Thanks,
>     Siegfried

* Re: Extending Emacs with C
@ 2003-11-11 18:13   ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2003-11-11 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

gareth.rees@pobox.com (Gareth Rees) writes:

> Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> > Are there any documents that can guide me on extending emacs (elisp)
> > with C?  I want to call some COM objects from elisp.
>
> You can't do this in vanilla GNU Emacs, because dynamic extensions
> provide a way for people to try to get around the GPL.  See
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-07/msg00425.html
>
> However, if you're happy to recompile Emacs then you can add whatever
> functionality you like.  See
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DynamicallyExtendingEmacs

You  could also  just have  an external  COM tool  and invoke  it with
shell-command. Then no need to recompile emacs.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

* Re: Extending Emacs with C
@ 2003-11-12  2:19   ` Siegfried Heintze
From: Siegfried Heintze @ 2003-11-12  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had trouble getting the sources by googling for them so I downloaded
cygwin which includes emacs 21.2 sources.

I then used these bat files:
call_12_configure.bat
set MSVCDir=\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98
set
INCLUDE=%MSVCDir%\ATL\INCLUDE;%MSVCDir%\INCLUDE;%MSVCDir%\MFC\INCLUDE;%INCLU
DE%
set LIB=%MSVCDir%\LIB;%MSVCDir%\MFC\LIB;%LIB%
set PATH=%MSVCDir%\bin;\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;c:\GNU_Utilities\cygwin\bin
call .\configure.bat

call_12_nmake.bat
set MSVCDir=\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98
set
INCLUDE=%MSVCDir%\ATL\INCLUDE;%MSVCDir%\INCLUDE;%MSVCDir%\MFC\INCLUDE;%INCLU
DE%
set LIB=%MSVCDir%\LIB;%MSVCDir%\MFC\LIB;%LIB%
set PATH=%MSVCDir%\bin;\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;c:\GNU_Utilities\cygwin\bin
nmake

set MSVCDir=\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98
set
INCLUDE=%MSVCDir%\ATL\INCLUDE;%MSVCDir%\INCLUDE;%MSVCDir%\MFC\INCLUDE;%INCLU
DE%
set LIB=%MSVCDir%\LIB;%MSVCDir%\MFC\LIB;%LIB%
set PATH=%MSVCDir%\bin;\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;c:\GNU_Utilities\cygwin\bin
nmake install