Hello I have - GNU Emacs 21.3 on Windows - a CVS checkout in which most of the files are encoded in ISO-8859-1 and some others in UTF-8. All the utf-8 encoded files have the .utf extension I have added in my .emacs the following line : (add-to-list 'file-coding-system-alist (list "\\.utf" 'utf-8)) prefer-coding-system is set to 'iso-latin-1 Everything works fine when I open a file (Emacs set the right coding system) My problem is when I run interactive diff from PCL-CVS (d e) Emacs always set the coding system of the BASE version of the .utf files to iso-8859-1 Any idea how to fix this ? Thank you in advance. Jérôme