* java syntax highlighting with generics
@ 2006-08-04 18:14 gg.t.gadget_saavik
From: gg.t.gadget_saavik @ 2006-08-04 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

First of all, is there a version of java-mode or JDE (I'm a little
confused as to the relationship if any between the two) that can
handle generics and type parameters?
If so, how do I go about getting it?

I am using the Emacs distribution that comes with Red Hat Enterprise 3
and method declarations with type parameters don't have the method
names colored, nor do they show up as speedbar tags.

My exact Emacs version is:
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
of 2006-05-03 on hs20-bc1-3.build.redhat.com

By the way, how can I display the version number in such a way that I
can select it to copy and paste?

- Rose

* Re: java syntax highlighting with generics
@ 2006-08-06  9:45 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-06  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.08.2006 um 20:14 schrieb gg.t.gadget_saavik@xoxy.net:

> First of all, is there a version of java-mode or JDE (I'm a little
> confused as to the relationship if any between the two) that can
> handle generics and type parameters?

I don't know! But isn't JDE just a generic acronym for *any* Java
Development Environment? The different modes in GNU Emacs support for
example programming languages by high-lighting particular key words
or indenting blocks of code. Another means is that you can insert
from a menu particular key words or get special menus.

> I am using the Emacs distribution that comes with Red Hat Enterprise 3
> and method declarations with type parameters don't have the method
> names colored, nor do they show up as speedbar tags.

Could be that auto-mode-alist has no mapping provided for your Java
files:

(setq auto-mode-alist
   (append
     '(("\\.java\\'" . java-mode)
    auto-mode-alist)))

C-h v reveals a variable's value.

> By the way, how can I display the version number in such a way that I
> can select it to copy and paste?

Either C-h v emacs-version RET and then copy from the *Help* buffer,
or M-x emacs-version RET and then change to *Messages* buffer.

--
Greetings

   Pete

One doesn't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher
moral development.  One expects them to obey the law because they
know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged.
                                                  --Michael Shirley

* Re: java syntax highlighting with generics
@ 2006-08-06 16:45   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-08-06 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 04.08.2006 um 20:14 schrieb gg.t.gadget_saavik@xoxy.net:
>
>> First of all, is there a version of java-mode or JDE (I'm a little
>> confused as to the relationship if any between the two) that can
>> handle generics and type parameters?
>
> I don't know! But isn't JDE just a generic acronym for *any* Java
> Development Environment?

No. JDE (JDEE in full) is a specific package: http://jdee.sunsite.dk/.
It could use java-mode and add the code completion, debugging, and
other features, but I can't remember if it does or comes with its own
mode.

The java-mode in the upcoming Emacs 22 does not yet support generics.
I don't know about JDEE.

>> By the way, how can I display the version number in such a way that I
>> can select it to copy and paste?
>>

> Either C-h v emacs-version RET and then copy from the *Help* buffer,
> or M-x emacs-version RET and then change to *Messages* buffer.

Or even M-: (insert (emacs-version)) RET.

* Re: java syntax highlighting with generics
@ 2006-08-06 18:04     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-06 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.08.2006 um 18:45 schrieb Bill Wohler:

>>> By the way, how can I display the version number in such a way
>>> that I
>>> can select it to copy and paste?
>>>

>> Either C-h v emacs-version RET and then copy from the *Help* buffer,
>> or M-x emacs-version RET and then change to *Messages* buffer.
>
> Or even M-: (insert (emacs-version)) RET.

I got one more: M-x report-emacs-bug RET ? RET – or Help menu -> Send
Bug Report. And then also ? RET in mini-buffer.

And no need to actually send the eMail ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact
opposite.

* Re: java syntax highlighting with generics
@ 2006-08-06 19:02     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-08-06 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 06 2006, Bill Wohler wrote:

>> Either C-h v emacs-version RET and then copy from the *Help* buffer,
>> or M-x emacs-version RET and then change to *Messages* buffer.
>
> Or even M-: (insert (emacs-version)) RET.

`C-u M-x emacs-version RET'

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: java syntax highlighting with generics
@ 2006-08-07 19:11       ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-08-07 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sun, Aug 06 2006, Bill Wohler wrote:
>
>>> Either C-h v emacs-version RET and then copy from the *Help* buffer,
>>> or M-x emacs-version RET and then change to *Messages* buffer.
>>
>> Or even M-: (insert (emacs-version)) RET.
>
> `C-u M-x emacs-version RET'

Much better. I hereby withdraw my suggestion. Thanks, Reiner!