* emacs colors in rxvt
@ 2003-06-01  4:46 Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.7101.1054485777.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-06-01  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello -

does anyone have ANSI colors in their emacs 21 running
in rxvt? If so, could you send me the relevant part
of your .emacs?  I'm having the darnedest time with this...

		too used to XEmacs I guess.

Joe

* Re: emacs colors in rxvt
       [not found] <mailman.7096.1054442863.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-01 16:33 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@mail.ma.utexas.edu> writes:

> does anyone have ANSI colors in their emacs 21 running
> in rxvt? If so, could you send me the relevant part
> of your .emacs?  I'm having the darnedest time with this...

Emacs asks the terminal if it groks colors.  If so, it uses colors.
If not, it doesn't.

So maybe the terminal is lying.  You can frob the termcap/terminfo
entries to say that the terminal understands color.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: emacs colors in rxvt
@ 2003-06-01 16:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.7101.1054485777.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-01 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 23:46:47 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Joe Corneli <jcorneli@mail.ma.utexas.edu>
>
> does anyone have ANSI colors in their emacs 21 running
> in rxvt? If so, could you send me the relevant part
> of your .emacs?  I'm having the darnedest time with this...

I'd suggest to look at rxvt.el in the CVS version of Emacs.  It
already has all the rxvt support.

* Re: emacs colors in rxvt
       [not found] ` <mailman.7101.1054485777.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-01 23:24   ` RB
From: RB @ 2003-06-01 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 23:46:47 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: Joe Corneli <jcorneli@mail.ma.utexas.edu>
>>
>> does anyone have ANSI colors in their emacs 21 running
>> in rxvt? If so, could you send me the relevant part
>> of your .emacs?  I'm having the darnedest time with this...
>
> I'd suggest to look at rxvt.el in the CVS version of Emacs.  It
> already has all the rxvt support.

related question:

i do run emacs (21.2) with full colors in an rxvt window - this is while
ssh'ed into a remote host. my problem is that the cursor is the same
color (black) as the background, and therefore invisible unless it
(point) is on a character, in which case I can see a little bit the
cursor. it displays as white on yellow, red, or whatever color
characters, so I guess it's working in reverse. no settings have been
altered from the standard - either Xresources or .emacs or any other
customization. when not running emacs, the rxvt window displays as white
background with black characters.

the rxvt terminal is running on an irix machine, ssh'ed into a debian
and/or freebsd host.

if there is a solution, that would be a big help, because I normally
have to guess where is point now. thanks,

RB

* Re: emacs colors in rxvt
       [not found] <E19MZ6A-0007Zr-GW@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-02  4:21 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-06-02  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I loaded rxvt.el and tried to change my color-scheme a little bit with
customize, but I don't seem to be getting any colors. Maybe I'll have to
try Kai's suggestion? (That would involve thinking 'cause I'd have to
learn what frobbing is.)  Or maybe someone can see something that has been
left out of my (appended) .emacs file?

Joe

(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.max" . maxima-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(setq load-path (cons  "/Users/joe/site-lisp" load-path ))
(autoload 'maxima "maxima" "Running Maxima interactively" t)
(autoload 'maxima-mode "maxima" "Maxima editing mode" t)
(global-font-lock-mode 1)
(menu-bar-mode -1)
(load "rxvt.el")
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
 )
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "blue" :foreground
"red" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil
:underline nil :s\
lant normal :weight normal :height 1 :width normal :family "default"))))
 '(mode-line ((t (:inverse-video nil)))))

* Re: emacs colors in rxvt
       [not found] <mailman.7121.1054527732.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-02 17:37 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-06-02 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)