* xfonts
@ 2003-05-01 22:32 Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-05-01 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all, I have just obtained emacs 21.3.1. for linux suse 8.0. which has
a slight glitch. If I enter "emacs" I get a split window  which says 'cannot
load file xfonts' and it suggests running 'emacs --debug-init'. This says
(file-error "cannot open load file" xfonts) and to look in init file for
cause. What does this mean? My .emacs contains nothing about xfonts. The
emacs window is otherwise OK but I get error messages of type "cannot find
... font". If I enter "emacs -q" I get a good starting window but this is
presumably not quite satisfactory. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Ivan.

* Re: xfonts
@ 2003-05-01 23:10 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-05-01 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ivan Danicic wrote:

> Hello all, I have just obtained emacs 21.3.1. for linux suse 8.0. which has
> a slight glitch. If I enter "emacs" I get a split window  which says 'cannot
> load file xfonts' and it suggests running 'emacs --debug-init'. This says
> (file-error "cannot open load file" xfonts) and to look in init file for
> cause. What does this mean? My .emacs contains nothing about xfonts. The
> emacs window is otherwise OK but I get error messages of type "cannot find
> ... font". If I enter "emacs -q" I get a good starting window

Then the problem is in the default.el file.  Use `M-x locate-library RET
default RET' to find out which load-path directory contains it.

> but this is
> presumably not quite satisfactory. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Read the "Init File" node of the Emacs manual:

--

* Re: xfonts
@ 2003-05-02 19:01   ` Ivan Danicic
From: Ivan Danicic @ 2003-05-02 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kevin Rodgers" <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ivan Danicic wrote:
>
> > Hello all, I have just obtained emacs 21.3.1. for linux suse 8.0. which
has
> > a slight glitch. If I enter "emacs" I get a split window  which says
'cannot
> > load file xfonts' and it suggests running 'emacs --debug-init'. This
says
> > (file-error "cannot open load file" xfonts) and to look in init file for
> > cause. What does this mean? My .emacs contains nothing about xfonts. The
> > emacs window is otherwise OK but I get error messages of type "cannot
find
> > ... font". If I enter "emacs -q" I get a good starting window
>

> Then the problem is in the default.el file.  Use `M-x locate-library RET
> default RET' to find out which load-path directory contains it.
>
> > but this is
> > presumably not quite satisfactory. Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Read the "Init File" node of the Emacs manual:
> snip

Yes thanks. I have commented out the line
(if (emacs-major-version 20)(require 'xfonts))
from the two .gnu-emacs files. Now the thing looks OK but wouldn't it be
nice to have these xfonts? I can't find them (as 'xfonts').
Ivan.