* multiple language dvi generation
@ 2003-04-30 15:16 Petr Šimon
From: Petr Šimon @ 2003-04-30 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I am very fresh beginner and I am just unable to get over this:
I want to type in emacs using few dofferent languages (chinese,
diacritics, ipa). To this point I found my way. Should I use the
enriched-mode for this? I have read manual ant gnu.org, but I am
probably little bit too slow with these things. When I type my text
(many different languages with different encodings) I have to edit it
with latex commands like "\begin{document}" and so on, am I right?
Otherwise I can't generate dvi, right? I definitely wont to edit it to
get good typesetting and to use tipa, but how do I tell it that it
contains normal characters with diacritis or chinese characters (ig:
čěšýáěířýčšé 我不知道)? Do I have to do it? Because anytime I add some
diacritics or chinese to the tex source and then try to get dvi via
latex it complains and ends with "?" :
latex p1.tex
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5)
(./p1.tex
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, c
zech, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size12.clo))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/palatino.sty)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/latex2html/url.sty)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/czech.ldf
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.def)))
No file p1.aux.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ot1ppl.fd)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/omsppl.fd)
! Text line contains an invalid character.
l.27 ^^[

.B^^8e^^ec=^^8e^^f8^^8e^^fd^^8e^^ed^^8e^^b9^^8e^^e8^^8e^^ed^^8e^^e1^...

?

I am again sorry for such a post, but I am really desperate for some
help. Thanks in advance
Petr

* Re: multiple language dvi generation
       [not found] <mailman.5399.1051716496.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-30 16:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-30 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petr Šimon <sim@klubko.net> writes:

> When I type my text (many different languages with different
> encodings) I have to edit it with latex commands like
> "\begin{document}" and so on, am I right?

This seems to be a TeX problem, and less an Emacs problem.
Apparently, you can enter your text using Emacs.  Your problem is
what text you need so that LaTeX groks it.

There are multilingual extensions for TeX (called Omega? Lambda?)
that, I think, accept UTF-8 as input.  I tried to use that once, but
I thoroughly failed because I'm a very bad TeXnician.

(What does the Chinese in your message mean, btw?)
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: multiple language dvi generation
@ 2003-05-01 14:10 Petr Šimon
From: Petr Šimon @ 2003-05-01 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>When I type my text (many different languages with different
>>> encodings) I have to edit it with latex commands like
>>> "\begin{document}" and so on, am I right?
>

> This seems to be a TeX problem, and less an Emacs problem.
> Apparently, you can enter your text using Emacs.  Your problem is
> what text you need so that LaTeX groks it.
>
> There are multilingual extensions for TeX (called Omega? Lambda?)
> that, I think, accept UTF-8 as input.  I tried to use that once, but
> I thoroughly failed because I'm a very bad TeXnician.
>
> (What does the Chinese in your message mean, btw?)

Hi,
Thanks a lot. Sometimes I need to kick to start to think ;-) One problem
still remains. I don't use omega now, it should do without it. There is
a package called cjk-latex which should do the job. But, I still get
this nasty output and no dvi for chinese:

mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input gbsn05
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.4.5)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf gbsn05
! I can't find file `gbsn05'.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input gbsn05

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input gbsn05

Transcript written on mfput.log.
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input gbsn05' failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font C10/song/m/n/12/05=gbsn05 at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
file not
found.
<to be read again>
                    relax
l.26 ^^e4^^b8^^ad^^e5
                      ^^9b^^bd^^e8^^af^^ad^^e8^^a8^^80^^e5^^ad^^a6
?

I understand that it can't find my fonts (am I right?), but I am sure
that I have fonts installed. Can I explicitly set the path or what else
I can do?
I tried another font with different encoding and I got another error:

$
! Argument of \CJK@XX has an extra }.
<inserted text>
                 \par
l.26 ^^e4^^b8^^ad^^e5^^9c^^8b
                              ^^e8^^aa^^9e^^e8^^a8^^80^^e5^^ad^^b8
?

What does it all mean? How do I fix it?
Thanks a lot
Petr
(the Chinese text meant: I DON'T KNOW ;-))

* Re: multiple language dvi generation
       [not found] <mailman.5441.1051798693.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-01 17:11 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-01 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Petr imon <sim@klubko.net> writes:

> I understand that it can't find my fonts (am I right?), but I am sure
> that I have fonts installed. Can I explicitly set the path or what
> else I can do?

kpsexpand mf tells you the list of directories it looks in.  A
tailing // on a directory means it searches subdirs and subsubdirs
(and so on), too.

You can use kpsewhich foo.mf to try to find the right file.

This is all a LaTeX problem, though -- maybe you'd like to talk to
the TeXnicians at comp.text.tex?

--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)