* [SOLVED]I cant save and preview, special characters
@ 2003-04-30 14:51 Petr Šimon
From: Petr Šimon @ 2003-04-30 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>I am new to emacs.
>

> Welcome!
>

>>> I have too instalations and two problems. Both are on Debian,
>>> installed from packages.
>

>>> 1. When I try to save it says: Symbol's function definition is void:
>>>    call-with-transparent-undo. Well in fact whatever I do gives me
>>>    this, preview too. So I am learning emacs and latex, but can't see
>>>    or use anything I type in.
>

> Are you using GNU Emacs or XEmacs?  As far as I know, only XEmacs has
> a function called `call-with-transparent-undo'.  If you get this error
> in GNU Emacs, then you are probably using a lisp package that was
> intended for XEmacs.
>

>>> 2. on my laptop it works (saving), but I have problem with other
>>>    things. First of all I don't see the same toolbar as on my other
>>>    computer.
>

> If you see a different toolbar, then most likely, one of your emacsen
> is GNU Emacs while the other is XEmacs.
>

>>>    When I find file, Yatex invites me, but I dont have
>>>    Command Preview and Latex.
>

> The Command and Latex menus belong to the AUC TeX package, the Preview
> menu belongs to the Preview package.  Maybe these packages are not
> installed (properly)?
>

>>>    When I try to select LaTex command from Yatex > Process > LaTex
>>>    it says /bin/bash: line 1: platex: command not found. I have
>>>    installed the ptex-bin package which should contain platex, but
>>>    peoblems pertains.
>

> What happens if you just invoke platex in a console?  (Type `platex'
> at the shell prompt.)
>

>>> 3. (ok not only two problems...) I can save and then generate dvi file
>>>    with latex. But I can do it only with English. I am sorry for this,
>>>    maybe I can read it somewhere, but I did I wasn't really able to
>>>    find something I could easily use. I need to get pdf or ps with
>>>    lots of "abnormal" characters like Chinese, doubled and trippled
>>>    diacritics. I set the environment to utf-8-unix and saved the file
>>>    like utf-8-unix, but instead of my characters I got only little bit
>>>    of mess, some of original even disappeared.
>

> I'm not very intimate with internationalization, but in general you
> use latex to get a dvi file from latex source files (*.tex files).
>>From the dvi file you can create a postscript file with dvips, or a
> pdf file with dvipdf.  There are also latex compilers that can
> generate pdf files directly.
>
> Lute.

Hi,
Thanks for invitation and help. I had both emacs and xemacs installed
and maybe that caused the errors. INow I got rid of xemacs and I keep
only GNU emacs.So basically everything works fine now. But... another
post follows ;-)
Thanks Petr

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-04-30 14:51 UTC | newest]