* list a directory
@ 2003-03-01 22:33 ck
From: ck @ 2003-03-01 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have xemacs installed on my Windows2000, but I cannot list a directory
files. In order to open the file, I have to know exact the file
name in the directory and type
the file name. How do I trigger the problem? Please shed a light.
Thanks in advance.

* Re: list a directory
@ 2003-03-01 23:40 ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2003-03-01 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

ck <cljlk@hotmail.com> writes:

> I have xemacs installed on my Windows2000, but I cannot list a directory
> files. In order to open the file, I have to know exact the file
> name in the directory and type
> the file name. How do I trigger the problem? Please shed a light.
> Thanks in advance.

hi

Type C-x d

DG                                 http://gnufans.net/

* Re: list a directory
@ 2003-03-02  1:12   ` ck
From: ck @ 2003-03-02  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I used to type c-x f <return>, then I can view list of file in
current directory. I could not view a list file in a directory
after I  re-install xemacs. Did I miss something.

D. Goel wrote:
> ck <cljlk@hotmail.com> writes:
>

>>I have xemacs installed on my Windows2000, but I cannot list a directory
>>files. In order to open the file, I have to know exact the file
>>name in the directory and type
>>the file name. How do I trigger the problem? Please shed a light.
>>Thanks in advance.
>

> hi
>
> Type C-x d
>

> DG                                 http://gnufans.net/
> --

* Re: list a directory
@ 2003-03-02  1:37     ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2003-03-02  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

ck wrote:

> I used to type c-x f <return>, then I can view list of file in
> current directory. I could not view a list file in a directory
> after I  re-install xemacs. Did I miss something.
>
> D. Goel wrote:
>> ck <cljlk@hotmail.com> writes:
>>

>>>I have xemacs installed on my Windows2000, but I cannot list a directory
>>>files. In order to open the file, I have to know exact the file
>>>name in the directory and type
>>>the file name. How do I trigger the problem? Please shed a light.
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>

>> hi
>>
>> Type C-x d
>>

>> DG                                 http://gnufans.net/
>> --

You have the commands confused. C-x C-f is for opening a file or for
creating one where there isn't one. It's not for viewing the directory.

C-x d, as stated by D. Goel, is for viewing a directory.

Unless it works differently on Windows than on Linux.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of my e-mail address. It's to
confuse spambots, of course.

* Re: list a directory
@ 2003-03-02  3:37       ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2003-03-02  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ck wrote:
>
>> I used to type c-x f <return>, then I can view list of file in
>> current directory. I could not view a list file in a directory
>> after I  re-install xemacs. Did I miss something.

You missed something. Are your packages installed correctly? i.e. can you run
dired at all?

roodwriter wrote:

> You have the commands confused. C-x C-f is for opening a file or for
> creating one where there isn't one. It's not for viewing the directory.
>
> C-x d, as stated by D. Goel, is for viewing a directory.
>
> Unless it works differently on Windows than on Linux.

Unless you're running some kind of special Linux, <C-x> <C-f> should open
files *or* directory everywhere, on both emacsen.

--
Le

* Re: list a directory
@ 2003-03-04 21:29       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-03-04 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

roodwriter wrote:

> ck wrote:
>>I used to type c-x f <return>, then I can view list of file in
>>current directory. I could not view a list file in a directory
>>after I  re-install xemacs. Did I miss something.
>>
> You have the commands confused. C-x C-f is for opening a file or for
> creating one where there isn't one. It's not for viewing the directory.

Right.  But `C-x C-f ?' will display a *Completions* buffer with the
directory's contents.