* question about completing read
@ 2002-09-19  9:14 Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-09-19  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

The TABLE argument must be an alist where the car of each element must be a
string. Ok, but i have nowhere found anything about the cdr of the elements,
inall examples it is a sequence of numbers beginning from 1 but no explanation
why and no word about the cdr's in general! Am i blind?

First i supposed that the cdr of an element is returned when the car matches
but obviously this is not the case ;-)

Ok, what about these mysterious cdr's?

Thanks a lot,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: question about completing read
@ 2002-09-19 16:48 ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2002-09-19 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Sep 2002, Klaus Berndl wrote:

> First i supposed that the cdr of an element is returned when the car
> matches but obviously this is not the case ;-)
>
> Ok, what about these mysterious cdr's?

I believe they are ignored.  I guess it assumes an alist because
that's how it's often used.  I know in most/all of my usages of
completing-read, it's been with an alist of values.  You can then use
assoc to look up the cdr of the value.

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
   Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
            Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

* Re: question about completing read
@ 2002-09-19 18:01   ` Chuck Siska
From: Chuck Siska @ 2002-09-19 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

klaus --

i've used the alist with a font's readable string name, e.g.,
"terminal 9" in the car and its system descriptor in the cdr.
cheers.

-- chuck

Joe Casadonte wrote:

> On 19 Sep 2002, Klaus Berndl wrote:
>
> > First i supposed that the cdr of an element is returned when the car
> > matches but obviously this is not the case ;-)
> >
> > Ok, what about these mysterious cdr's?
>
> I believe they are ignored.  I guess it assumes an alist because
> that's how it's often used.  I know in most/all of my usages of
> completing-read, it's been with an alist of values.  You can then use
> assoc to look up the cdr of the value.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> joe
> Joe Casadonte
> jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

>          Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
>    Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
>             Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
>                Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
>           Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html

What is life without looking for           . . `; -._      )-;-,_`)
the next cute little bug to play with?     v_,-    _  ),(,.\  ``-'
-- chuck.siska@skyworksinc.com  `<}:..  ((,.-'   ((,/